Parent or child... and how do we tell them.....

When you watch Super Nanny or Nanny 911 it's not the kids, its the parents. Lack of discipline, lack of caring, etc. I fully agree because we have friends that don't give a crap about their kids behavior and their children are extremely out of control and disrespectful to others and other's property- especially ours. We enjoy our friends' company, but their kids are older now and have broken DVD's, scratched up my son's Wii games- our kids are between 1 and 5, theirs between 2 and 7. The kids love playing together, but their kids have literally destroyed hundreds of dollars worth of our stuff and never replace it or apologize. They've ruined 3 beds, movies, games, toys, books, etc. I'm sick over it but if they can't control their kids, we can't afford their friendship. How should we confront them ??

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Calculate the cost of everything her children have broken on a list- Wii games, $ amount; beds, $ amount, etc. Then when she asks why her kids can't play with your kids or why they can't do so at your home, hand her list and say you can't afford it. Your friends are disrespecting you by allowing their children to do this- repeatedly- and get away with it. They are teaching their children they aren't accountable for their actions and they can disrepect other people and their belongings. Your kids are seeing them do so, and being influenced by it. Good luck.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 7:11 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Talk to the parents. Say what you just said here. Hang out at the park or at their house instead- don't let them over. I stopped spending time with one of my neighbors at my house for the same reason- she just played on her smartphone while her 3 year old destroyed everything and shoved my 2 year old to the ground every time she stood back up. You should never have let that happen more than once- seriously. The first time this girl's kid snatched the toy cellphone out of my daughter's hand and smashed it and stomped on it (then tried to choke her, actually) I told her that she had to watch her kid or gtfo.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 11:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• i agree either spend time at the other families house or meet at a middle ground like a park or something if they ask politley explain u cant afford to replace all the things their children break
    laylasmommy21

Answer by laylasmommy21 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would have to tell them that their children can't play with yours until they learn to act nicely to your kids. It's all about respect. They probably don't have any rules that they live by, and so they actually get away with doing anything. That's sad though. They do need to be more aware of how their children are behaving.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:34 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• let me also add, we both have 4 children each...- ours ages 1, 2, and 4 that are girls, and a boy 5. Theirs are 7, 5, 3 all boys, and a girl that is 2. They all bite, spit, back talk, their 2 yr old hits and bites and thinks it's funny if anyone tries to get on to her, I've physically had to take her off my two yr old one day and I yelled in her face to stop it. She laughed, and I handed her off to her dad and said she needs ber rear end busted. They just held her and loved on her...........
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• just dont hang out at your house go out instead if the other mom asks you why explain it then
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Would it be an ass thing if we wrote a detailed letter instead of trying to talk to them??
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• For me, writing a detailed letter would be the best way to go. I get flustered when I have to confront someone, and I can't usually get out all that I want/need to say. Write down exactly how you feel, and why you feel that way, and give it to her at a time when you can walk away. At the end of the letter, let her know that when she is ready to talk calmly about the situation she may call, or meet you at the park.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would just explain to the parents that their children are too destructive and too violent towards your children and you can't have them in your house if they can't control the kids. It's that simple really.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 8:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2010