why is my sister in law who has a daughter jealous that i am pregnant with a girl?

i am starting my six month of pregnancy and my boyfriend and i are really happy about our daughters impending arrival, but his sister has been mean spiteful, and purposfully hurtful since we announced we were having a girl. she has called me fat, she has called me and my mother stupid for buying girls clothes bc she says it isnt smart bc she could end up being a boy, she even told me and my boyfriend to our face in a really snotty tone that she hopes our sonogram was wrong and that she comes out a boy. Anytime i bring up anything about my pregnancy or my soon to be daughter she rolls her eyes, gets angry, or will say something rude. now she even started ignoring me ...i dont even exist to her, she wont talk to me or even look at me. her older brother has a son and she has a 1 yr old daughter of her own, i dont understand why she is so angry and bitter about my daughter even existing, how do i deal with this?

laylasmommy21

Asked by laylasmommy21 at 11:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• she probably wanted to have her daughter be the only baby girl. Just know from now on, everything will become a competition, don't feed into it.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• she's either jealous that your taking the attention away from her daughter by having a girl, or she wants another baby girl.
    My friend and I were pregnant at the same time, and I wanted another girl (had one girl, two boys) and I ended up being pregnant with a boy and she was having a girl. I was jealous for a bit because I was mourning the fact that i'd never have another girl. It all worked out in the end....I love my little guy (now 5 months).
    I hope she gets over her spitefulness....try asking her up front why she's being so hateful!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I would flat out ask her what is her problem or just ignore her. Maybe she is jealous due to she wanted to have THE ONLY girl in the family.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 11:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• She just mad that he daughter won't be the only granddaughter anymore and that her mother is gonna give your daughter all the attention when she's born and won't pay attention to her daughter anymore trust me i know i was in the exact same postion as you a year ago expect my sister in law didn't take it that far she still spoke with me but not as much as she use to we still talk from time to time but that's about it my daughter now gets all the attention now my mother doesn't really give the attention to her daughter anymore since my daughter was born . Good Luck hopefully things get better when your daughter is born .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 11:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• jealousy. She probably just wants her little girl to be the center of attention. All hatefulness stems from jealousy in one way or another. Just remember that. :) And to hell with her anyways, you're little girl will probably be cuter! lol Good luck!
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• ive only just signed up here at this sight and you guys are wonderful for my sanity to know its not just me overreacting ...i have been feeling so isolated over it all and to have support from other mothers is a huge help thank u for your wonderful advice
    laylasmommy21

Comment by laylasmommy21 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• she probably knows yours will be cuter :P women can be vicious
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• i gather your niece is first grand daughter for your parents and she feels that they won't love her as they once have
    with new baby there will be changes and she not wanting ruff any feathers
    or her and her hubby have tried to have other baby and just can't have one
    it now time talk to your mom how rude she really is you need to find out why she is acting this way ,there more here and she might even open up and warm up to new baby good luck
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:12 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• i agree shes jealous.id flat out ask her what her problem is or just ignore her dont let her rain on your prade .congradulations
    loomis6

Answer by loomis6 at 3:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Is she happy in her own relationship? Is she a single mom or is the dad still around? If she's on her own, she's probably jealous because you're HAPPY.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2010