Was going to college assumed for you?

I'm curious to know what other peoples' parents did. My parents never even opened the door for an alternative. All four of us had to go to college. When my sister dropped out and went to beauty school, my folks put her right back into college after becoming a hair dresser. Now, with school being so outrageously expensive, I'm not so sure we can pay to send both kids to university. But I want them to go.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2010 in

• No, rather it was assumed we would NOT go to college. My parents NEVER talked about college to my nor my brother. When the kids in school were talking to the "Guidance Counselor" (back then), and filling out FAFSA's, I had NO idea what they were doing. When I questioned my mother later, she said it was assumed we would both work in a factory or something like that.

Can you imagine??? That was of course early 80's.. but still.

I made both of my daughters go.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My parents didn't care as long as we were being productive. My grandfather had an 8th grade education and became a millionaire doing what he loved....so in our family, it didn't matter as long as we were happy and productive....lol I stress productive.
    My parents did give us the deal that if we went to school full time they would let us live at home rent free (we still needed to do chores and respect their rules) and they would pay for college. The alternative to living at home was, full time job and we had to pay rent (not as much as we would have paid anywhere else, but we still contributed that as well as did our chores and respect their rules).
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• College was definitely not mandatory, it was a choice I made, and I am glad I did. As for my son, he is only 13mos, and I plan to start setting aside money now, since I finally paid off his ViaCord Fees, for college if he wants to go, otherwise I plan to give him the money once he turns 25.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• yes, it was a given that i would go to college. these days a bachelor's is a must to be competitive in most fields. i got alot of scholarships when i went to college (not so many financial based, but alot of academic scholarships). i also saved money for as long as i can remember lol. i worked alot in the last 2 years. it was hard but i don't have any student loans :)
    now i am lucky because my husband works for the university he graduated from, so if he is still working there or has retired after 9 years of working there our kids will get free tuition for undergrad. that's great for us.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Yes it was assumed we went to collage. Although we were not forced to do so. My girls have collage accounts the money in it isn't there's they don't go they don't see it until they are 21if they don't go.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Yep, it was pretty much assumed for my two brothers and me. I don't ever remember being told we had to go, but it was the most logical thing with the career paths we wanted. My parents paid for all 3 of to go to 4-year colleges.

We're saving money now.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• This is very interesting. All great answers. Thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:10 AM on Dec. 18, 2010