Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can static electricity start a fire?

When I came in and took my coat off in the dark, the room just lit up with all the static electricity! And now my hair is all wild, too! LOL
But can all that static electricity actually hurt anything, like by starting a fire?

 
Indyk

Asked by Indyk at 12:14 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 19 (7,307 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • ELIZABETHSMO902

    Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

  • Not like that. Achieving and sustaining open flame combustion requires not only fuel, air and an ignition source, but that you get the fuel to a temperature where it provides sufficient out gassing of fuel vapors to mix with air in sufficient quantity to sustain open flame.
    m-avi

    Answer by m-avi at 12:16 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

  • it could around something extremely combustable.
    princessbeth79

    Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

  • I am laughing so hard! But then again you have me thinking. I will get back to you after I go to ask.com...really, wow.
    rosetoes

    Answer by rosetoes at 1:58 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

  • urbanlegends.about.com/library/blgas-static-fires2.htm

    Static Electricity Causes Gas Pump Fires - Urban Legends
    TRUE: Static electricity has been the cause of a significant number of fires at or near gasoline pumps during vehicle refueling ... This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires. 5) Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas. 6) It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire,
    OMG...this is what I got. I am not laughing as hard. Ut-oh!
    rosetoes

    Answer by rosetoes at 2:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

  • it can like princesbeth said around anything that is combustable.
    ready4baby2011

    Answer by ready4baby2011 at 12:22 AM on Dec. 18, 2010