can a landlord....

legally kick you out because your pregnant

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• No. You can fight that hun.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• who should i talk to about the threats of being kicked out because i'm pregnant
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Talk to a lawyer about that
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 12:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• No, that's in the Federal Fair Housing guidelines:

"Unless a building or community qualifies as housing for older persons, it may not discriminate based on familial status. That is, it may not discriminate against families in which one or more children under 18 live with:

* A parent
    * A person who has legal custody of the child or children or
    * The designee of the parent or legal custodian, with the parent or custodian's written permission.

Familial status protection also applies to pregnant women and anyone securing legal custody of a child under 18."
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would talk to a lawyer. They are always eager to get cases like that. If the landlord does it he has to give you back your deposit and most of your rent and pay the attorney fees.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 12:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I don't see how. Unless theres a clause in the contract about no kids. But the kid is'nt here yet,so I would say no.
    megamamaw

Answer by megamamaw at 12:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I already have one kid my son is 2. my landlord is claiming that legally we can be kicked out because in our lease it states no one else can move in and having another child means someone else is moving in and she is claiming that she can up our rent after our child is born because that will be one more person living under this roof. I just want to make sure i can't kicked out cause my husband and i are going to move out as soon as we get our income taxes back
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• They really can't descriminate against you in that way. My job fired me when I got pregnant and I should have taken them to court, but didn't. Stand up for yourself, you would win a case even without a lawyer.
    com_wat_may

Answer by com_wat_may at 12:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• It's a Gray area...
    If it is a "Private" landlord/owner they don't have to follow (if they own 4 or less units that is considered private) the same
    laws as a unit on a larger scale...as a gov/manged run apt/units/house... Fair Housing laws...
    Pregnant women are not covered under the 'Fair Housing Laws"
    and it is not illegal... contact legal aid and see what they say in your area...

Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:25 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• didn't see your response... contact an attorney....
    but after reading your response
    having a baby DOES NOT CONSTITUTE someone moving in...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:27 AM on Dec. 18, 2010