• In the Spotlight:

how do i get the pacifier away from my 8 mo old

my son is dependent on it to sleep. i want him to stop using it because he has his bottom two teeth already

risingstar4lyfe

Asked by risingstar4lyfe at 5:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think the pacifier will do much harm. I know 2 year olds who have most of their teeth, if not all, and still use pacis. If you take the paci away too early, he could use his thumb instead, and that's worse for his teeth than a small paci.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 5:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• wait the baby is sleep and throw them all the way.and dont buy more.
    marli08

Answer by marli08 at 6:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I know plenty of kids that have there's until they are 3 and never had any teeth problems. You may not want him to have it that long, but I would not worry about it for now.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 7:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I honestly do NOT think it looks very appropriate for a walking baby to have a pacifier, but i know everyone has there own opinions. A good way to stop the pacifier is to give the baby something else, a blanket, or stuffed animals are good examples. Now you have a boy so it may be easier than a girl. You can also start only using it at night, and naps, and gradually taking it away. especially during playtime, my son stopped pretty much on his own around 7-8 months. But all babies are different. just try using other things, and not having it during play, and only at nap or sleep... You can try that but there are also websites with more information, just google it = )
    Good Luck
    H.A.Weeks

Answer by H.A.Weeks at 7:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• i would wait until the child is a little older and then trade paci for a toy if you have problems...you dont want him to having sleeping problems if you take it. It does not hurt their teeth. JMO Plus this is just the baby teeth.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 8:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• OMG! MY BABY WAS HOOKED! I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE THE MOST DIFFICULT TASK EVER!
    THOUGHT SHE WAS THE MOST QUIET BABY EVER...UNTIL ONE DAY I LOST HER "PATSY" (thats what I call it) LOL IT WAS GONE ALMOST THE ENTIRE DAY! SHE WAS KOOL SOMETIMES...WHINED/CRIED A LOT THO! I WAS HAPPY WHEN I FOUND IT...BUT THATS WHEN I REALIZED THE "PLUG" IS WHAT KEPT HER QUIET! LOL ...AND THATS WHEN I BEGAN TO THINK ABOUT TAKING HER OFF! AFTER 4-5 TIMES OF LOSING THE "PATSY", RUNNING TO THE STORE AND GETTING ANOTHER I DECIDED IT WAS TIME TO GET RID OF IT!
    QueenZeeksMom

Answer by QueenZeeksMom at 9:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• .....SHE WAS OFF THE BOTTLE AT 8 MONTHS...SIPPY CUPS ONLY AND AT 10 MONTHS I BELIEVE THAT WAS THE LAST DAYS OF THE LOST "PATSY"! SHE ACTUALLY FELL ASLEEP WITHOUT HER "PATSY" 4 THE FIRST TIME BASICALLY....THATS WHEN I KNEW IT WAS TIME! ^_^ SO FROM THAT DAY I STOPPED LOOKING AND NEVER BOUGHT ANOTHER! AND SHE SLOWLY BUT SURELY BEGAN TO FORGET ABOUT IT/GET USE TO NOT HAVING IT...GOING TO SLEEP EVERY NIGHT WITHOUT IT...IT TOOK ABOUT 5-8 DAYS 4 ME AND HER TO GET USE TO GOING THROUGH THE DAY WITHOUT IT...I HAD NO SUBSTITUES 4 HER...SHE NEVER SUCKED HER THUMB...THE SOONER THE BETTER! SHE WAS LIKE 10 AND A HALF MONTHS OFF THE "PATSY" AND NOOOO LOOKING BACK! GOOD LUCK! ITS NOT AS HARD AS YOU THINK IT WILL BE! ^_^ PEACE
    QueenZeeksMom

Answer by QueenZeeksMom at 9:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2008