Have you ever ran into a situation where your family didn't like your boyfriend/fiance/husband?

Want to hear stories.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 1:05 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My dad has never liked any of my ex bf, but never told me until the relationship was over. This time, he tells me how much he likes him and asks how we are getting along and how the kids like him. I finally listened to my gut.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Oh yeah my family didn't like my husband at first and i think they still don't. I honestly don't know what their problem with his. It's like they are trying to find everything wrong with him and make it some huge deal. Lately they have been acting nice to him but i know they are talking about him behind his back. We just play nice with everyone and not spend as much time with them
    Justins_mommy05

Answer by Justins_mommy05 at 1:09 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My dad greatly disliked my husband when we first got engaged. They aren't the best of friends but they are on speaking terms and are friendly towards each other. But we've been together for 11 1/2 years and married for almost 11 (in 3 weeks) so my father has accepted that we're a couple and it wasn't just some crazy thing we did (getting married after being together for 7 months and only knowing each other like 9 months total). He still can't stand my other in-laws except my mil. He constantly reminds me how much he dislikes my sisters-in-law. Sigh. It gets old. I don't agree with everything they do and sometimes I want to strangle them but they are family and I love them so I hate to hear my dad constantly bad mouthing them.
    It's sad because he should understand my "loyalty" to them a little more. My dad is much closer to my mom's family than his own and I'm sure him mother objected to my mom.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:25 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I am G-ma to 5 and mommy to 3. Our children are 33, 29, and 17. I do not really (like) my son-in-law or daughter in-law. I tolerate but not really. I am easy to get along with but they work my mom bone.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 1:45 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• In the past, yes..but not with my Husband. Everyone in my Family loves Him..but then again, how could anyone NOT love Him? He is amazing and the BEST Husband (and Daddie) in existence!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 6:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My family never liked my husband. It used to bother me, but I've come to understand that it isn't important what they think of him, but what I think of him. They can feel any way they want to about him and me and our son. They're missing out on 2 wonderful, loving and special men!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 7:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Yes, and they were right.
    SamKJones

Answer by SamKJones at 7:52 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• apparently, everyone thought my first husband was an ass. Some people told me, others didn't. I took offense to those that blatantly disliked him. After several years of marriage, I realized they were right. He was an ass. After the divorce, those that had never come out and told me their opinion finally told me. I was amazed that NOBODY liked him. I guess the saying is right. Love is blind. I sure was.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:52 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My husband is not the best catch on paper- so when my family heard about him they could not see past the 8 year age difference (I was 18 and he was 26) the fact that he had 4 kids already (ages 10-7) then the snobbery of that he grew up on a different side of town, was not a "professional" he worked in a garage. I know everyone thought that I was making a mistake by marrying him at 20 but now we have been married for 13 years, have 2 kids of our own (ages 5 and 3) and we are as happy as can be.

So I know that you cannot judge a book by its cover.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:55 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• We started dating when I was 14 and he was 16. We became serious and he asked me to marry him after dating a year. This did NOT sit well with my parents. We even told them that we wanted to wait until I graduated high school. They got snotty and we forced their hand by getting pregnant. We've been married 25 years and unlike most teen parents, only had one child. My parents love my hubby now.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:58 AM on Dec. 18, 2010