Melatonin on your Child?

Would anyone use this on their child? I'm having problems with my 3 yo getting to sleep at night and some one suggested this. She uses it on her childrfen EVERYNIGHT!! She said she's just starting to let them fall asleep on there own on week ends. OMG I couldn't give my child another crutch to fall asleep!!

Chantalg12

Asked by Chantalg12 at 1:21 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• ya, that's just crazy. No way.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:27 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• We use it with my son when he was having trouble getting to sleep, but never for an extended period of time. His pediatrician recommended it to use when he was around 3. After 3-4 night with it his sleep pattern sets itself and he goes to sleep on his own.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 2:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• That is way too young. I used it on my ADHD son when he was 13 - 14. It really helped. He had been up every night until 1 or 2 in the morning before that. Really struggling to get up in the morning. It finally gave him the good night's sleep he needed. He sleeps fine now.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:49 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I used it on my son when he was around 3, but he has autism and his sleep cycles were really screwed up. It should be used for a very short period of time, long enough to regulate their cycle and that's it. We used it for a couple week, it did it's job and we haven't used it for him again.

Answer by missanc at 8:46 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I use it when my kids have their sleep cycles messed up to help then re-regulate. I also use it when my ADD son has had an overstimulated day and he's wired still at 11 or 12 at night to help him re-regulate.
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 9:43 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My stepson is 7, his pediatrician told us to give it too him for 20 days to knock him into a normal sleeping pattern, He wouldn't fall asleep until after 11 (went to bed at 8) and would wake up around 3-4 every morning, I didn't like the idea of giving him drugs but it worked and he found a more normal sleeping pattern, We only gave him 3 mgs or somthing, but I would definently talk to your pediatrician before you give drugs like that to a kid (I know it's "natural" but still) There are other things to try before going straight to a pill
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 11:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I have two autistic sons--turning 9 and 7, and we have yet to give them any medications. We are still battling things the old-fashioned way with non-invasive remedies and establishing of routines. That said, my almost 9 year old sleeps like a rock--always has--from about 8:30PM to 6:00AM, but my almost 7 year old liked to "snuggle" and would wake up in the middle of the night and want to crawl into bed with me. We taught him that he needed to stay in his room until his alarm clock started playing music, and we kept him in his room using a baby gate, and kept all toys out of his room to lessen the stimulation. For about a week or so he would wake up and roam about his room, but with nothing to do, eventually fell back asleep out of boredom and exhaustion. He eventually regulated himself and now sleeps like a rock! Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone in your body, IMO there is no need for additional dosages.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:35 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I should also add that eliminating naps was critical for my younger son! A 45-minute nap would give him enough of a recharging that he could stay up until 11PM!! We stopped giving him naps at 2 1/2, and he's usually asleep by 8:30PM, and sleeps until 6-7AM--even on weekends and school breaks.

I also work with a congenitally blind student, who, because he cannot differentiate between day and night, his brain does NOT produce melatonin, and as a result has a completely screwed up body clock, and takes naps at all times of day or night--even while walking from class to class! In his case, his parents SHOULD give him doses of melatonin and TEACH him how to regulate his body clock with an auditory system like we did with my younger son (alarm clock--when to go to bed and when to wake up), but they have dropped teh ball on that one, and refuse to do anything about it--he's 10 years old.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:41 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Both my 3 and 9 yr old take it. It is a natural chemical that the body produces any way. Pediatrician said my 9 yr old could take up to 4 at a time and it won't hurt him. Melatonin is also found in turkey! Do your children not eat turkey?
    gatorswife

Answer by gatorswife at 2:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Do I feed my child trkey EVERYNIGHT? No I dont and no I would not! I understand the Momma's that give it to their children for a couple days or so...................... but not every night. Why in the world would i give my child something as a crutch. Yes it is NATURAL but really? Dont you think their bodies my stop making it all together if it's always given to them and their braind DONT have to produce it? Any way I want my child to have HEALTHY sleeping habbits..................... I was thinking of trying it and am more convinced to now. But Only for a couple days TOPS!!
    Chantalg12

Comment by Chantalg12 (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2010