CRY IT OUT?

Do you use the CIO method to get your children to sleep? Tryong to figure out the least crying method to get my 7 month old to sleep at night. (maybe through the night as well) Not too sure if I can let him CIO. i would have to CIO TOO!!!

Chantalg12

Asked by Chantalg12 at 1:26 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did with my twins, had really no choice being a single mom with only 2 arms, couldn't rock both at the same time. My youngest never really had bedtime problems
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I did CIO as well. Took about three nights of 20 minutes of crying and was NEVER a problem after. That said, I was so anxious and stressed out with his crying, it was overwhelming. A parent stepping stone, I guess. He's a GREAT sleeper though and I'd do it again if I had to.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• if she cio longer then 20min then pick her up you can also feed her bottle with baby cereal just fill her up
    give her bath rub hand cream on her to calm her down she will relax
    if you are stress out then she will be stress out so mom calm down
    even sing to her no matter how you sound she does matter
    it just that you are there
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 3:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I could never do it. I can't stand to hear them cry. I went in and nursed them or gave a bottle. There is a book "The No Cry Sleeping Solution". It's pretty good, but a lot of work.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:46 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I kind of do it with my daughter. As long as she's not getting hysterical, I'll let her fuss. Usually she settles herself down, but if she gets worked up, I go and get her. If I don't, she won't settle down.

(Don't put cereal in her bottle. Use a spoon and a bowl.)
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:32 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I nurse and would NEVER put cereal in a bottle.
    Chantalg12

Comment by Chantalg12 (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• No Cry Sleep Solution is a great method. I could never use CIO. As I see it why would you use the one method that has research saying it could cause lifelong harm?.  Good luck and don't worry!  Sleep is a developmental stage reached in each child's own time.  Baby will get there eventually!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 11:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I never did cio, and never would. good luck to you, the group loving alternatives to mainstream parenting may have specific advice for you. good luck!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My DD is 15 months old and I just started doing it. Once she has "that" cry I go in there and get her. CIO has really worked, she was waking every three hours and after 15 months I couldn't take it anymore. She still wakes at 5am, but that is way better then what she was doing before.
    Luvmybooskies

Answer by Luvmybooskies at 3:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• We always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Bath, diaper change, swaddling, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2010