What is the best way to potty train a stubborn 3 year old boy?

He knows how to do it but he refuses. He just likes to convenience of wearing a diaper. Nothing we've tried has worked.

Elisha121804

Asked by Elisha121804 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My little boy was a bit stubborn too. Here are some things I tried: a potty chair in the living room, and a Bob the Builder (his fave) potty seat on our regular toilet (so he had a choice), a pee pee party when he did eventually go (this was easy - a slice of cake or whatever with a candle and I sang 'Happy Pee Pee To You" whenever he did it, we made a little sign and stuck it on a pole and he marched up and down the block whenever he peed on the potty, LOTS of praise, his favorite character big boy underwear, LOTS of hugs and encouragement. Eventually, he decided he wanted to be a big boy and pee and poopy on the big potty and that was it. I never pushed him no matter how irritated I was and once he started he never had even one accident during the day or at night. The bottom line is that they're ready when they're ready!
    Goodluck. I know how frustrating it can be!
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 5:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I know that this would really suck for you but take him out of the diapers except for night time. He won't like the feeling of cold urine. Sure there will be some clean up but it is not that bad and it should not last too long.

I have an autistic step son and after a year of potty training, he knew how to do it, but still liked diapers. He got the hint pretty quickly after the diapers were taken away.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 5:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I bought training panty's at the baby section and my daughter pee'd through them and doesn't like it. So we finally broke her of her habits at 2 1/2 years old.
    LawDJ

Answer by LawDJ at 6:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2008