Did anybody ever get a bad headache after an epidural? How long did it last?

CarolinaMom2006

Asked by CarolinaMom2006 at 1:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yesss! its is the weirdest feeling I hated it!!! it would go up my spine and my neck to my head..... I would sit and it could go away. I also took some Motrin or Tylenol. Having your head elevated helps. Maybe with some pillows? Thats what I did. It is the strangest head ache. It will go away it took about a week to subside. Hope you feel better.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 1:46 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• thanks...yeah, i just had my baby girl on wednesday and right after she took the epi out, i started getting this bad headache...so the nurse told me it was a "spinal headache", she told me to drink lots of caffeine & lay flat on my back...and then she said i could get something called a "blood patch", which i didn't want that because i had a tough labor and i was already hurting & very miserable as it was...but anyways...i looked online and it said something about an untreated spinal headache could lead to a brain hemorrage {sp?}, is that true...??
    CarolinaMom2006

Comment by CarolinaMom2006 (original poster) at 1:49 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I had epidurals with both labors and I had a headache for about a week after both. It does get better.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:52 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Oh, hell, I don't even remember! Aside from holding my little girl, the biggest thing I remember was that I had to be able to move my toes before I was toted to my room, lol!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• i dont remember i was in the moment of having a new baby!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 2:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I had one and it lasted two days or so. I was told to drink a lot of water and lay flat.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2010