what would you of done?

My brother and sister in law just adopted a brother and sister. It is now final. Well my brother is planning on doing a little get together like a party where the family will go to their house to welcome the children to the family and to celebrate that these two wonderful children are now apart of our family. My brother was telling one of his friends that they were planning on doing this and this friend had the nerve to yell at my brother. Saying that he was being selfish and there is nothing to celebrate. It was no big deal. Well his friend said this in front of me and i could tell it hurt my brother so i spoke up. In a nice voice even though i wanted to yell at this person. I told her that my brother had every right to celebrate. this is a great thing that has happened not just to my brother and his wife but our family. we are so lucky to have these children in our live. I just don't understand why someone could be so cold and heartless as to think there is no need to celebrate something as wonderful as this.

has anyone who adopted done something like this were you had a family get together so the family could welcome the child(ren) into your family?

Justins_mommy05

Asked by Justins_mommy05 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Adoption

• it is something to celebrate, it is special and life changing. this chick has no class and she's being a beotch!! hope she is not invited...
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 1:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Family is not only because you are blood related to someone! what a jerk, your brother has every right to celebrate. If his wife had just gave birth to twins then he can't celebrate either?
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 1:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• A lot of people who adopt have a gathering of sorts to welcome the new child/ren into the family. Kind of like welcoming a new baby. It can be a quiet family dinner/gathering or a full blow out event.
    After going through all the hoops, red tape etc.. adopting requires its a reason to CELEBRATE. and what better way to let the children know how truly special they are.
    NOTHING WRONG WITH IT.

your brother definately has a very RUDE "friend" I would rethink that term
    tricia1332

Answer by tricia1332 at 2:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Yeah she not invited to this. And i love them they are my niece and nephew and they mean the world to me. i love just has much as i love my niece who is blood related. I'm so happy for my brother and sister in law. they are great parent's to these kids. I was so mad when that woman said that my first reaction was i wanted to smack her. She could tell how happy my brother was about this and she just crushed him by doing that.
    Justins_mommy05

Comment by Justins_mommy05 (original poster) at 2:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My parents adopted all 7 of us. They can do what they want. It is a special occasion.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 2:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• they are planning on doing a pot luck dinner at their house after the holidays the invites say that it's to welcome the kids and to celebrate that they are now legally family. I plan on bringing the blankets that i made for the two of them that are signed by everyone in the family with little messages that say welcome to the family and things like that
    Justins_mommy05

Comment by Justins_mommy05 (original poster) at 2:05 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I think it's a great idea to have a celebration of it. The friend sounds jealous or something.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 2:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Yes, you should celebrate becoming a family is special. When we adopted we did have a gathering to celebrate. As for this friend she may simply be cold-hearted or not knowing anything about adoption. It should not of course matter what she thinks anyway. What matters the most is the little blessings who are now a part of your family.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My BIL/SIL threw a welcome home party for us a month after our dd came home from China. We had over 100 people come! It was so unbelievable that so many people loved us and wanted to welcome Lilly to our family. She is soooo loved by everyone...the family, our friends, her teachers, people at Church...it is a wonderful way to celebrate!

Eh, she is jealous of what your brother and his wife have...ignore her and enjoy your new niece and nephew! Congrats to your family!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:18 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I think it's important to celebrate that these children have an adoptive family as well as each other, it certainly is cause to rejoice. But, it is also important to bear in mind that these children also lost a family that they probably love, no matter how awful the family were. "Feelings about birth parents. It may be difficult to logically understand how a child can yearn for a birth parent they’ve never seen or miss a birth parent who has abused them. Heart connections run deep and are not easily broken by abuse, neglect or adoption" - Marlou Russell http://marlourussellphd.com/Articles.aspx

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2010