• In the Spotlight:

She just took over!!!...MIL...

I brought home ingredients to make tamales from scratch, I started to cook the meat and my MIL just completely took over! I did not ask her to I did not even tell her what I was doing. (dh did) then when he asked her what she was doing in the kitchen she said I am preparing the meat what do you expect me to do? As always I kept my mouth shut, in MY home, yet I was screaming in my head...I wanted you to do nothing! I tend to keep the peace, what would you do?

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 2:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• LOL I dont keep my mouth shut. and in my home there will only be peace if I am HAPPY!!
    tricia1332

Answer by tricia1332 at 2:10 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would tell her that if she wants to help you do something, then it would be good if she could do job X. But, I would tell her that I would like to continue to brown the meat and whatever else I was intending to do. I think that if you continue to not say anything, you are going to go crazy. I'm not saying to go nuts on her, but I think it's important to speak up for yourself--in a pleasant, confident manner. :)
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 2:24 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Umm my mother is like that but i tend to not say nothing either i hold in my thoughts it's best not to say nothing especially cus she's your husband's mother maybe she's been in the kitchen longer than you have and she probably thinks you don't know what your doing or maybe she's trying to be nice so it''s not so much work for you i wouldn't budge :)
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 2:09 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would have told her that I was planning on making the main course, BUT if she would like to help....she can prepare the side dish/es!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:12 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would have told her to get outta my kitchen.Im fine with her asking "do you want any help" but I could not take her just coming in and taking over. She would have gotten a frying pan to the face...lol
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 7:35 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• She was probably just trying to help, but then again depending on how she is maybe she was trying to take over on purpose. I wouldn't have said anything besides, "Oh I love making my tamales, you didn't need to do that". I am the biggest push over. We have a lot of annoying things happen here thanks to my hubby's cousin and brother, yet I keep it all in. This is my house, yet I still keep in my feelings when something is happening that I don't like :(
    Luvmybooskies

Answer by Luvmybooskies at 2:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I like to joke and say " hey you go sit down and watch me...lol. Don't let me know if I make any mistakes.....lol". This has gotten me outta a many sticky ........... Crack a joke..but mean it!
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 7:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Truth be told she probably was just trying to help. Some people always feel like they should just handle things. You need to speak up for yourself and tell her "my kitchen my meal." Tell her you wanted to make the meal that night. Tell her to go relax and put her feet up. If she insists than just suck it up. Respect your elders.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 2:10 AM on Dec. 18, 2010