What can I do for baby mucus? My daughter was born on Wednesday, and it seems to come out of her nose & mouth, and she gets choked on it sometimes, and the syringe dont work all the time for it...and it scares me...

CarolinaMom2006

Asked by CarolinaMom2006 at 2:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby had the same exact thing happen...she's 7 weeks now..doesn't happen anymore. But i remembered it would terrify me! I was even afraid to fall asleep thinking she would start choking while i would be asleep. My doctor told me to use the syringe all the time and to keep her head lifted for at least 45 min after she ate.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 2:29 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• it happened to my baby too! I would use that little blue squeegee thing they give you a Boogie sucker, suck the yuck out if you can. Just make sure she sits up right when she is coughing so she can get it out.. It will go away in a week or so.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 2:49 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• why do you think im awake at 2:48 in the morning..?? lol...Tonight is our first night alone with her since I had her on Wednesday, and I am scared to go too sleep because im scared she might choke & can't breathe...
    CarolinaMom2006

Comment by CarolinaMom2006 (original poster) at 2:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• You can buy an electric snot sucker. Target sells them for about $20. They are wonderful. The problem with a bulb syringe is that you can not get suction for long enough to get anything out, but these continuously suction, so all the goo comes right out.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• it happens to my baby when he first got home too, and it only happens at night time for us. You can use the blue round thing to suck it up and make sure the baby room are spot clean with minimal dust. My Ped said it's normal, she checked that he doesn't have cold or anything, she told me to use saline and it works pretty well.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 8:04 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I love saline! I spray it up my daughter's nose and it all comes pouring out, then I use the bulb thing to suction it all out. My SIL has the electric sucker, she said it works great and doesn't bother her daughter one bit.
    Luvmybooskies

Answer by Luvmybooskies at 2:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I've heard the electric snot suckers are awesome!! Definitely worth the money.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:52 AM on Dec. 19, 2010