Do you think your inlaws (MIL) respect you?

I am not so sure my mil does. She is in my home and all she does is mope, complain, and cry about her situation. I work, take care of my family, cook, clean you know I run the household. She is ornery she bangs my things in my kitchen, she is just plain miserable. Respect your elders is good in theory but do they respect us?

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 2:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• Hell no. She pretends to when DH is around so she can look like the victim and I can look like the bad guy if I get pissed at her for her manipulative crap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Mine does but my sisterinlaw is a bitch.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:22 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My Mother in Law and Step Father in Law do respect me. I don't talk to my husbands Father or his Mother in Law... Ever.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Umm no my MIL or MIF do not respect me whatsoever so i don't speak to them at all .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 2:35 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My relationship with my MIL is limited. My DH knows how is mother is and we keep my communication with her to a small amount. She is very manulative and is known to turn situations around to cause problems in the family. The only time I deal with her is when DH is with me. I so love it when they are aware of the situations....
    guyandtoni01

Answer by guyandtoni01 at 3:43 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• We no longer talk to my MIL. She basically told us when we bought our First house a few months ago that we didn't deserve it. And She has never visited the new house nor has she seen her grand kids in a long time. It's all her choosing and her loss.
    littlemisscutie

Answer by littlemisscutie at 7:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Yes she does. She respects me more than my own mother! I love my MIL more than anything, and respect her as she respects me.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 7:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• its a hit and miss on this one.. but i would say they respect me as much as i make them... which is alot because i got sick of being disrespected, so i made it an issue to be handled. if they were rude to me.. i was rude to them.. not a i do it because you do it kind of thing.. it was more of a if you are going to speak rudely to me.. then i will not sit the and be angry i will gladly tell you that its not your business or whatever you made me feel. they no longer talk down to me or anything rude. also disrespecting my boundaries.. such as do NOT open my closed door and enter my bedroom.. that is MY private room and nothing in it belongs to you... this may not seem to be a privacy matter to the them but it is to me and they should respect it.... i put up with it for a while then i started letting them know i will NOT put up with it...
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 8:38 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I've come to realize that, no, she doesn't. Its been a long, hard road coming to accept it, especially since she's the kind that is super passive aggressive about it and who turns around and acts like she doesn't do anything and its all me, but I've finally gotten to the place where I can see I'll never earn her approval/respect and I need to stop trying. I can be nice and respectful, but I'm done trying to be friends with her, and I'm finally standing up for myself when she tries to pull her "you need to do this for me" crap when she knows what she's asking is out of line (especially when she tries to tell DH to "put me in my place")...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Yep but we have the oddest relationship
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2010