My 12 year old daughter is happy one minute and then the next minute she is mad at the whole world. is this normal?

My daughter will be 13 years old this upcoming march and I have been super worried about her because anymore she can go from being happy as ever to the next minute she is madder than heck. I am worried that she may be like bi polar or have mood swings. My mom keeps telling me that its a normal kid thing but I am truly worried about her. Can you please tell me if your 12 year old acts the same way or not.

Prdmomof2kids

Asked by Prdmomof2kids at 2:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I totally remember acting that way. Maybe she's starting her period
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 2:44 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Sounds like the online of puberty.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:45 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I think you mean onset Razelda lol

and OP - I think it's normal
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 2:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Definitely sounds like puberty to me...I remember being like that, too...the hormones make you seem crazy! Hang in there, the worst is yet to come! (just kidding, but really...I don't look forward to dealing with all that when my dd gets older!)
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 2:52 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• LOL I did! Holy hell I am tired...

Online... That's one of my best typos yet.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:00 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• The joys of puberty!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:45 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• sounds like hormones and being a teenager to me
    tricia1332

Answer by tricia1332 at 4:41 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Sounds like my grandaughter who will be 11 in March. I think it's the beginning of puberty. The breast buds have started, and I don't think the period is far off.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:47 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• That sounds normal to me. As long as she is not scaring you with over the top crazy behavior just give it some time...like 5 years!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:00 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• It could be normal, but it could signal a bigger problem, like Bipolar. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have her talk to a counselor. Yes, mood swings are part of puberty and having a period but it shouldn't be happy one minute and angry the next. A persistent up and down pattern in a problem and it not normal, especially if there is a history of Bipolar or other depressive disorders in your family.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 18, 2010