What is your true opinion on pit bulls ?

PLEASE READ MY COMMENT ON PAGE THREE FOR THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY POSTED ON THIS QUESTION !!

megamamaw

Asked by megamamaw at 2:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Pets

• I think they are beautiful. I dont think they are born with a "mean gene" Its HUMANS that make them mean. Pitbulls are Very loyal dogs and they will do anything in their power to please their human, and if ripping another dogs face off will please their human then thats what they will do.
    I think they have an undeserved reputation.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I love my fiance's pitbulls, they are the only ones I have liked
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 3:28 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I firmly believe it's all in how they're NURTURED. Nature is there, but it can be curbed if the nurture is strong enough.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:35 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• People are the problem with pits not the dogs. My hubby and I have rescued & rehomed over 130 pits in almost 4 years. We also own pits. They are wonderful loyal pets who love to please their owner. We also have chihuahuas and I would say they will go after someone before my pits would....LOL
    ddleachman

Answer by ddleachman at 4:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I love Pitts and theya re the only dog i will ever own...they are loyal and lovable its all depends who raises them just like it does with us. If slobs raise us then we more likely will be slobs if drug addicts raise us we probably will be drug addicts ......Pitts are great dogs and have a bad Rep cause some BAD people taught them those things..
    Mrs.Norris

Answer by Mrs.Norris at 4:13 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Ok, first of all: I am completely aware that ANY animal can attack someone or turn on their family. However, because you hear about it happening so much with this particular breed, I would NEVER get one or allow my Son to be around one. I have damn good reason, too. Here's my story: my ex-girlfriend's family had a family of three Pitbulls. Raised them all since they were puppies, treated them so well..these dogs had some of the best owners out there. But they still turned on the youngest daughter..she was 3, they had been around her, the middle sister, and my ex since they were born or little kids..so they were used to little kids, especially their human family. One day, out of nowhere, all three of the dogs attacked the littlest sister when she was just playing in the backyard, not even near them. They almost killed her, the attack was so brutal, it was an absolute miracle she lived through it. That was the biggest (con't)
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 6:05 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• reason I vowed to NEVER get that kind of dog, especially not while I have a Child. Yes, any animal can do it, and any breed of dog. But you hear about Pits doing it so much, well, it makes people not want to take that risk. It clearly doesn't matter if these dogs are treated like family or treated like crap..some of them still turn on their owners. I see so many people post pics of their kids with their Pits and all I can do is pray that never happens to their family. Like I said, my ex's dogs were so loving and well-taken care of..but they still harmed that little girl, their human family, for no reason.

Now, I may not like Pits, but they are still animals..that being said, anyone who mistreats them is an evil person. I don't care how dangerous the breed can be..no animal deserves to be treated badly, especially if they haven't done wrong. Bash me for not liking Pitbulls if you want, but at least I still have a heart.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 6:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Oh, and I was around those dogs A LOT..I liked them even though I knew what sometimes happens with that breed. They were nice to me, and never gave me a reason to dislike them..until they almost killed that little girl. I knew her, and the whole family, so well and it killed me to know she had been harmed. It actually made national news, happened in 2005. They put the dogs down, humanely. Some people wouldn't have been so nice to an animal that had just tore their kid apart..the family obviously loved those dogs, and if their decision to put them to sleep the humane way wasn't proof enough..I don't know what is.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 6:16 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I have had pits in my family since birth and have 1 now. They are very protective of "their people". but in a good way.
    When I was little our pit saved my fathers life. The one we have now is the sweetest most docile dog in the world. My kids can lay on her, take her food while shes eating etc and she just looks at them and licks their face. She is protective of us though when my husband is away. When he is not home she will not let a stranger near the yard or us. They are very smart, loyal, very good with and will do anything for their owner and they are probably my favorite breed.
    They are very strong and stubborn though and really do need to be raised well or they can be very dangerous. Like any dog some may be aggressive and with their strength that can make them very dangerous. If people want them they really need to look for one with a good personality and make sure they train them well and raise them properly.
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 6:52 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• looks like the vote-down immature children are alive in this post today.

anyway my true opinion is i loved them before i had children. the bio-father of my oldest and i lived together for a while and we had two of them from puppies. they were very good-tempered, protective, and loving dogs. we would take them to the dog park frequently and let them get their energy out. when he and i split, while carrying our child, he took the dogs with him. i know he now breeds them and sells the puppies for profit. he and i both agreed on one thing though, pitbull fighting is outrageous and stupid. we treated our pits like dogs, not like caged animals who were destined to a life of ripping out the throats of other dogs.

now that i have children though, if we get a dog it will be of a different breed. my children are small and though i trusted my pits, and i know its nature vs. nurture, im just not willing to risk it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:12 AM on Dec. 18, 2010