Is it true that if i let my 2 month old stand while i hold his arms or sides that he can become bow-legged?

devoted2him

Asked by devoted2him at 5:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NOPE!
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 5:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• nope not at all just let him stand until he starts showing that he doesn't want to.. like trying to bend his knees to sit or fussing.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 6:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• never heard of that one! don't think it should be a problem.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 6:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Very old, old wives tale.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• thats an old wives tell I did that with both my daughter and niether one are bow legged and they both walked early from doing it as well I would hold there arms while they stood and when they got a bit stronger I would hold there hands and let them take a couple of steps my first daughter was walking at 7 months of age and my second walked at 9 months so I believe it helps them develop there strength in there legs to help them walk sooner
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 8:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• No it doesn.t But at that age you have to be careful. If you let them stand too much, even if they want to, they can get stress fractures in their legs. Their bones are not ready yet for long periods of time or anything like that. Our pedi told us we coudl let our son stand at that age, just to be careful about the period of time.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 8:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• lol no way!
    QueenZeeksMom

Answer by QueenZeeksMom at 8:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• TWO MONTHS IS WAY TOO SMALL TO BE HOLDING THEM JUST BY THEIR ARMS.THEY ARE NOT READY FOR THAT TILL AT LEAST 5 MONTHS:)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 9:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• OMG my MIL says that about my baby and he is almost 6 months old. It does not make your child bow-legged to allow them to put pressure on their legs. It makes their muscles stronger. Just make sure you are not holding them by their hands and you are supporting their bodies.
    kristynej

Answer by kristynej at 9:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• It's an old wives tale. No worries. Most children are bow legged until two years, then knock-kneed until their preteens. Don't worry about it.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 9:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2008