What are the truth and the myth about the protestant churches and the catohlic church

Why are there myth about the baptist and the cogic and the disciples of christ christian church and the ame and other churches that a man made religion. And why are there so many churches and faiths

tinamarie1972

Asked by tinamarie1972 at 6:15 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that the best way for God's enemy is to keep us confused so we can't never find the truth. I don't know about other religions but I was catholic and boy I mean I respect other peoples beliefs but it is a mess depending where you are its a different virgin Mary I thought there was only 1 and never explain to you anything and if you ask to the father he will tell you to have faith and its a mystery well at least that was the only 2 responses I got.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 6:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• All Christians were Catholic until the Eastern empire (Byzantium) split from the Western empire (Rome) at some point around 1050AD. That's how the Orthodox Church started. Then Luther decided he didn't like 7 books in the bible, and removed them, thus starting his own religion in 1500 - Lutheranism. Then along came King Henry IIIV of England who like women a little too much. He wanted to divorce his wife and remarry, but being Catholic, couldn't. He asked the Pope for special treatment and was denied. He then started his own religion which allowed divorce, and waged war against Catholics...oh, and killed or divorced 6 of his wives. That's how the Anglican/Episcopalian church was formed. The other protestant churches derive from either Luther or Henry. So, the original and true Christian faith is Catholicism, and the rest came about as I've described.
    SamKJones

Answer by SamKJones at 7:58 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• That question is too large to answer in the scope of CM. Basically the christian church was very wide geographically and over time it included many different cultures and traditions and people are really tied to their individual traditions, it's hard to separate cultural and religious beliefs. The main split is over how to interpret the Bible-- some believe in only a literal interpretation and some believe it should be studied with a non literal interpretation ( this is a whole topic and hornets nest unto itself). 

There are many different denominations that sprang up over different areas of the world but most denominations are either Catholic or Protestantat their root with a few smaller groups who claim no influence from either. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:10 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Well, to call the Catholic church "original and true" is stretching things a little. Early Christianity wasn't as united and unanimous. There wasn't one "early Christianity", there were many. For the first few hundred years there were many various brands and schools of Christian thought, and it wasn't until Constantine and the Empire endorsed Christianity and got involved that the question of who was right and who wasn't even really came up. Constantine wanted to be able to present a unified faith, so he made a council sit down and decide what was in and what was out. Anything that didn't line up was branded heretical.

So its not as neat and tidy as having one church and things falling apart - there have always been many kinds of Christianity, many ways of Christian thought, from the very beginning, and as time went on more and more people refused to be forced into one Christian box.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:13 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Bankgeek, you would sound more credible if you backed up your statement with a legitimate source.

The Catholic Church is the original and true Church that was established by Jesus. Since the beginning the Catholic Church has taught the divinity of Jesus, the Real Presence in the Eucharist, the difference between moral and venial sin, the washing away of sins at Baptism, etc. We have had an unbroken chain of Peters successors (the popes), and we even had our first Catechism in the year 70 called the Didache.

Are you asking why some believe Christianity is a man-made religion? That is a good question I cannot answer, because obviously Christianity was founded by Jesus, who is God. One could say, though, that Lutheranism was made by Martin Luther, Calvinism made by John Calvin, the Jehovah's Wtinessess made by Charles Russell, etc.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 10:04 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• If you read the Early Christian Writings, especially the Didache, the Martyrdom of Polycarp, and works by Ignatius of Antioch, Tertullian, and Justin Martyr, you will see they are sound Catholic writings.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 10:12 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I have legitimate sources, lol, and I do read early Christian writings. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:41 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• On Saint Patrick's day the Protestants wear orange and the Catholics wear green.
    As for why there are so many different churches, different interpretations.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• There are some great answers already. To understand why the church split it's important to understand history and what was happening at the time, how people communicated and what kind of government was in control. if you are really interested in the subject I would encourage you to read a book about Church History that will go into how these things effected the Christian Church in greater detail.

I would recommend Church History in Plain Language by Bruce L. Shelley.

tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:41 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• The Catholic Church is the original and true Church that was established by Jesus.

That is a matter of opinion- I am Eastern Orthodox and we happen to believe that we are "First among equals". We believe the Catholic Church split from us. We differ in that we do not feel we are any better than anyone else, we just believe we were first. We believe in "One Holy Church" as in its the "One Holy Church" for us- we do not believe that you can be a member of many Churches-only one can be the right path for you. That part of the Church I have the hardest part with as in I am not 100% in agreement with everything the Eastern Orthodox church says/does but it does fit me better than any other "label". Oh, and I have plenty of sources to back it up- of course, they are mostly associated with the EO Church so it goes back to-its an opinion.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2010