Going to Norway in August 2009....What do you think?

So I had this foregin exchange student my senior year living with us. She is like my sister. She got engaged recently and we are planning on going to her wedding.

I have a 3 year old (will be 4 when we leave) and a 6 month old (will be over a year). I want to leave both of the kids at home because I want this to be a fun vacation (we dont take too many because we own our own business). Plus the bride had said we would have more fun if we didnt bring her. My husband wants to bring her becaue he thinks I wont be able to be 10 days without her. I think I will miss her a ton but I want to have fun and enjoy our trip. Plus I dont want to take care of her for the 11+hour flight to norway. We would leave my 3 year old with my husbands parents.

What do you think. Do you think I'm being selfish and should just bring our daughter? Do you think my husband is being silly and should just enjoy the trip.

Christiansmom17

Asked by Christiansmom17 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Travel

• That's a long flight for a small child. Leave the kids with the grandparents and enjoy your trip. If you're like us, you won't get many chances to.
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 8:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Is there more to the reason why your husband is saying he doesn't want to leave your kids home? Maybe he doesn't want to burden his parents for that long a time, realizing that taking care of a three year old AND 6 mos old for 2 wks could be a tough thing for them to do - they haven't had a babies 24/7 for how many years?

Maybe he doesn't want to be away from them that long.
    Maybe he wants to have something to do while you are with your friend.
    See if there is anything more to his wish before you rule it out.

Otherwise, have fun at the wedding!
    WildRover

Answer by WildRover at 2:57 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Here are some more thoughts -
    It's a long time for THEM to be without you guys especially if you don't get away too often. The flight will be no problem for them if you are prepared. I am sure there are plenty of people to help you while you are at the wedding. Your friend could get in touch w/ the highschool childcare prgrm, speak w/ the teachers to get a recommendation to find a very good student to entrust him with. The teachers would only give you the names of students they feel very capable. I know it is hard, but an idea.
    WildRover

Answer by WildRover at 2:59 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think the reason why is because he will miss her. My friend has made it clear that kids arnt invited to the wedding.
    plus my sister in law live close to my mother in law. so she could have some help if she wanted. the kids will be 4 and 1 year 4 months old when we go so it wont be that bad i dont think.
    Christiansmom17

Answer by Christiansmom17 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• No kids at the Wedd'g is why I suggested the babysitter solution part for while you are there. She could help you fix a reliable babysitter through the local school. Just ideas if you realize you cannot leave them at home. How old are his parents? I know that At 42 I wouldn't be able to take care of a 4 yr old and 1 yr old for two weeks. It isn't the same as being in the middle of it all the time. I hear this constantly from Grandparents whose kdis think they have them as babysitters once a week or so. Even that is too much for them. That is why I thought that your hubby might have been thinking that. Check with them all to make sure that it is really OK and they feel they can say no if they aren't up for it.
    WildRover

Answer by WildRover at 1:38 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• p.s. I am in Sweden and I have gottten a babysitter through the school child care program (Kids that are getting educated to work in child care) I also ended up teaching in the program some years later. Many people new to the area get baby sitters this way. We are in a small town so that could be a difference, but I would be confident to recommend others to do that here.

It is worth a try if it turns out you can't leave them, as opposed to going alone without hubby...
    WildRover

Answer by WildRover at 1:41 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Thank you! I will find out! I just emailed them some senarios and hopefully they will get back to me.
    Christiansmom17

Answer by Christiansmom17 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• they offer cruises up the Fjords. I am so jealose.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 22, 2009