How do you tame the wild beast! My 3 year old!

My 3 year old, just turned 3 Nov7th, and she doesn't listen, always whines when she is asking for something. Whines because she doesn't get her way and whines forever when I put her in the corner. She keeps saying "I'm fully mom".... I think that it means thirsty.... I can't tell. She is starting to pouty alot and it's all getting out of hand.

Yesterday was her birthday party and she was throwing a fit because her cousin was play with her new learning computer that she got from gma and gpa. And everyone in my fiancee's side of the family is saying that it is all my fault that she is this way.

Is there anything that can be done to tame her to be a good little girl.

FYI: She does have a little 8 month old sister.

LawDJ

Asked by LawDJ at 6:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• All the little kids in my family, nine of them, and my step son who is four will not whine to me but they all whine to other people. The reason is that I am very strict about whining and I never hear it. If someone starts even a whiny tone then I tell them that I am not going to listen and I don't. I have never budged. They can whine for hours for all I care they eventually grow tired of it. I never give into the whining.

If they want to talk to me or debate like a normal person then I am all ears, they all know that.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 6:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• May I suggest you look into love and logic? It's a technique on raising your children without spanking them and having them learn from their actions. And it is a stress free way to raise your children. I have raised all of five of my children this way. There is a group for Love and Logic here on CM. We would be happy to assist.
    I can address one issue really quick though. The whining to "ask" for something she wants....have her say what it is she wants. Do not give her anything unless she asks for it using words. You could say to her " I would be happy to give you a drink of milk, just as soon as you use your words to ask for it" And follow through with what you say you will do. Feel free to contact me. :)
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 6:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• It isn't your fault. She's 3! Welcome to the joys of 3 year olds. I don't know why people make such a fuss about "terrible 2s". My daughter is the exact same way. I have no patience for whining, and she knows that. Does it stop her? NOPE. She is 3, no impulse control, but super strong emotions. She has no idea to handle frustrations, but she knows hey make her mad. It's a normal part of growing up. Anyone who says their kid didn't act like that, either has amnesia OR they are in denial!! Stay strong, and consistent and she will out grow in time. Just takes alot of patience and work. :) Trust me, I have to remind myself of the same thing all the time!!!

evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 6:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Well, its not your fault, she is just trying to press her luck ;o) she will get over herself soon
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• YOUR THE SOLUTION NOT THE PROBLEM! TRY BEING VERY CONSISTANT WITH EVERYTHING YOU DO, ITS HARD TO GIVE ADVICE IF WE DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. I HAVE A 3 YR OLD THAT BARELY CRIES OR WHINES. SHE IS VERY RESPECTFUL AND LISTENS BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT I TAUGHT HER, NOT JUST TOOK THE "SHES 3 APPROACH" AS AN EXCUSE FOR BAD BEHAVIOR.ILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW SOME THINGS I DO THAT MIGHT WORK FOR YOU. IM REAL DOWN TO EARTH AND NON JUDGEMENTAL SO IF YOU WANNA CHAT HIT ME UP.... LATER ANGIE
    incrediblee25

Answer by incrediblee25 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2008