What are some wedding "essentials" that can't be cut from a budget?

I am trying to cut what I can. I don't want to be married just at a courthouse, but I don't need a lavish wedding either. Just a small gathering with friends and family-maybe 50-75 people. What stuff can be cut?

metalmomma25

Asked by metalmomma25 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Just for Fun

• You can have a very beautiful wedding and not spend a ton of cash. Pick a location outside...Nature is a beautiful decoration. Get married in the afternoon and serve brunch instead of dinner. If you marry in the afternoon...no alcohol bill...that is one of the leading expenses. Purchase your own flowers...Wal-Mart sells a dozen roses for around 10bucks. Buy your wedding dress from the sale price adds...or at David Bridal..Gowns starting at $99. Music? Call community organizations or churches for recommendations for bands. Or have a good friend, who has offered to help, play DJ. Hope that helps you out a bit. Have a great time ..and congrats!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 2:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• A lot! I didn't want a courthouse wedding either. Micheals store and Oriental Trading Co. has tons of stuff that can acomadate weddings. The only stuff you really need is guests, food, cake, and some decorations.
    happilymarried

Answer by happilymarried at 2:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I agree with the above, you can have a beautiful wedding and not spend that much. The best bet is figure out your bottom line, how much do you REALLY want to spend? From there determine what YOU feel are things you need to have. Dress, Tux, Flowers, Cake etc.. then assign a price range to each that, when combined, will not go above your total budget. There are lots of short cuts you can take to give you the "look" of a more expensive wedding, but still be reasonable in cost. Check out sites online for ideas as well, and utilize your resources. If you have a baker in the family, perhaps they can make your cake. Someone who likes to take pictures in their spare time? There's your photographer. If you are going to feed your guests food, head to a whole-sale warehouse type place like a Sam's Club to order your food in bulk. I used to do this type of stuff on the side, so if you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email :) Good luck and CONGRATS!!!
    tagonoo

Answer by tagonoo at 2:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I would work it from the other end and decide what you can't cut out because that will reflect what is important to you and your hubby. If I had the same question above, I would say I can't cut: officiant, rings and appropriate wardrobe for bride and groom, two witnesses, a comfortable location to accomodate the ceremony, 50-75 people and some food/beverage (finger food and sandwiches and/or cocktails and h'ordoevres and/or just punch and cake. That's it. The rest is icing! If I could add from there, it would be flowers. Music can be brought in for free by inviting singers or musicians on the guest list to sing/play or "piped" in music. Same thing with the photographer. Get married where you have a reception, no need for a limo. I would spend the bulk of the budget on quality of food then. Have a wonderful time.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 7:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Oh gosh, the OP says flowers from Walmart! I think that is the one thing we spend a fortune for and if we aren't picky can get for practically nothing and just a beautiful! I agree about roses and if you have a crafty friend on call the day of the wedding, she/he can do corsages, boutiniers, boquets, centerpieces, anything you want for a song. Just have that person plan out what she needs for what you want. The other thing I love to do is look at the wedding gowns at the thrift stores for $100! They usually have one or two bridesmaid type dresses too, probably for 1/2 that! I wish I could do it over for less!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 7:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Dinner. Just serve hor'dourves (sorry, I don't know how to spell that!!) and drinks. Have your mother in law and mom help, so as not to have to have a caterer, or not ask the caterer to do it all anyway.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 7:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• cut out drinking and just have a toast for the married couple
    Second serve small things that make many appetizers would be a good thing. That way if you do it after lunch you could have the Bridal party and families help you
    Third design you flowers your self except your Bridal Bouq.
    Get the Guys there Cors.
    Then that just cut the cost a lot.
    OR you could have drinks and make it a family a good friend bring a dish wedding. There are many ways to do it. I hope these are a start.
    I actually was to a bring a dish wedding it was awesome so. It really depends on what you would like. GOOD LUCK BEST WISHES
    peacefulkids

Answer by peacefulkids at 10:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Lots of great ideas from the previous posters, so I'll try not to repeat anything that was already said...

Here's a tip to save LOTS of $$ on the cake. Most professional cake designers have a fake decorated cake to use as a prop. Only one layer is actually real cake, for the bride and groom to actually cut into and serve each other. The guests are served a sheet cake, made from the same ingredients, so it WILL taste the same. But the baker/decorator does not have to make a traditional wedding cake, so it will save you tons! And no one has to know! ;) Just ask...since the baker loses $$ doing it this way, some will not offer it, you might have to ask.

con't

Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 9:04 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Do you know someone who takes awesome pictures? Ask them to take photos for your wedding. Or inquire at a local college or high school if there is someone in the audio-video dept. who would want to earn a bit of cash by taking pics. Another photo idea is get lots of those disposable cameras and put them around for the guests to take random shots of the reception. You are bound to get alot of great pics!

Good luck and congrats!
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 9:05 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• You really need a photographer, even if the photographer is a friend who agrees to spend the whole wedding taking photographs! But someone should do it so you have memories. It can be very expensive to hire someone but worthwhile I think. Have a friend with a video camera take the video.

You'll need a dress. I have a friend who went to a random store and picked out a white dress and was happy with that. I think she paid around $200 for it and she looked great!

Flowers are also expensive but they really make the wedding beautiful. Focus on your flowers and flowers at the church or place where you'll be getting married. Put candles on the tables at the reception instead of flowers to save money.

Finally, keep the guest list small, really small, like just family. If you want have a party for friends later. If they know and love you they'll understand. My best friend eloped. I understood.
    loveandkisses

Answer by loveandkisses at 11:48 AM on Jul. 7, 2008