Why is there so much anti-Semitism on CM?

It gets masked a lot as being anti-Pagan or anti-Atheist (and sometimes anti-Muslim, as well), but if you pay close attention to what is being said, it's often blanket statements that are also anti-Semetic. The irony here is that Jesus was a Jew, so by making these statements, they are, in fact, also being anti-Christian.

Why is it, though, that even as people will speak up against blatant hate speech like derogatory names for Muslims, they give people a pass for referring to people as "pre-believers" or "non-believers", even when they explicitly state that as far as they are concerned, ONLY Christians are "believers" and everyone else, including Jews, are "non-believers" or "pre-believers".

(and on a related note, on what planet is "pre-believer" not an arrogant insult?)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:47 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Religious Debate

• You're throwing a temper tantrum over semantics. Nobody is saying that you are "without belief," as Christians we are saying that you are "without belief in Christ as God." That's not deragtory it's the truth.

But, that's not what those two little words mean when you put them together.

NON-BELIEVER=ONE WHO BELIEVES IN NOTHING

NON-CHRISTAIN=ONE WHO DOESN'T BELIEVE IN/FOLLOW THE CHRISTIAN GOD

It's irresponsible to say it's what Christians mean when they say it. Words have defintions for a reason, the English language has a plethora it's very easy to select the ones that actually mean what you WANT them to mean.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• It is basically as rude and arrogant as an Atheist calling all God believers pre-rational or pre-enlightened.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 1:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• First you guys are offended with non-believer, non-christian, ect.
    Now you are offended with pre-believer!
    So what do you want to be described as... if I say All you pagans, witches, new agers, wiccans, satanists ect all these are ones that do not believe Jesus as Lord and Savior it would make posts a lot longer and it is easier to distinguish between that group and Christians by saying non christians ect ... It is not ever meant to offend but to distiguish the difference between the two.
    Did you know NP that when they first called the disciples Christian it WAS a derogatory term to call them that. It was the Romans and those who needed a way to label them and thats is what they did. Now its been turned around FOR GOOD and for some they dont like it and for others they dont care. My question to you is Why are you so offended and angry about this? What is REALLY going on NP? This is only surface stuff !
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• First of all a Pre- Believer is not an arrogant statement.. it is a statement made by faith in believing Holy Spirit will being those that yet believe to believe. I was ONCE a pre believer and I am NOW a believer.

That's you. Not everyone is going to become Christian.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• When I hear the really ridiculous stuff like "pre-believers", I do my best to remind myself that not ALL Christians are as obnoxious, arrogant, and just plain crazy. Talk about doing your faith a disservice by bad representation.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Hmmmm attempting to change the meaning of non-believer according to the dictonary....isn't that rather lazy? I mean how hard is it to change the word after the Non.....Non-believer to Non-Christian. EGHADS......GASP.......the Hhhhhorror........Non-Christian actually is the correct word needing to be used but oh where is the fun in using the correct word.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• It's derogatory because it assumes that one day people who do not already believe in your God will believe in your God. It is absolutely arrogant, not to mention prideful.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 1:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Yes. And the term "pre-believer" is used by someone here who insists we are ALL Christian, we just don't all realize it yet, but if we don't before we die, we'll come to our senses after we die.

I can't remeber if I've seen the term pre-believer but, that is incredibly pretentious.

The idea that we are all Christians but, we just don't know it makes no sense. The bible is VERY clear that narrow is the gate that leads to life & wide is the road that leads to destruction....so, thier scripturtes say we aren't all going to be Christian.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Soyousay

I didn't say any were acceptable. It isn't Christians in general who balbber on about the "war on Christmas" and the "attacks" on Christianity...it is a very specific group and they are also the ones that make bigoted remarks about other religions...

Its stupid and hypocritical

Btw, I am a Christian and some things done and said under the guise of it make me ill
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Honestly, I don't think I ever looked at it this way. I guess the people on here who hate other religions hate them all.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2010