How high is too high of a fever for a 1yr?

I have twins that have a temp of 103.5. I called their pedi, but the office is closed. They are allergic to tylenol so I can only give them motrin to try and bring their temps down. I'm over reacting with wanting to take them to the ER???

brebear

Asked by brebear at 6:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my pediatrician sayed to bring my daughter in if her fever is over 100.4 for a child under 5 thats a fever and over 101-1003 is high and over there in the hospital.
    troubledkat911

Answer by troubledkat911 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My 3 year old runs high fevers whenever he is sick. If the kiddos are not getting better by later this afternoon and their temps aren't dropping I would bring them in to get them both checked out. BUT if their temps stay under control with the mortin I would bring them in tomorrow to their docs. There is alot of bad bugs out there right now. I hope your little ones get better soon...Good Luck!
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 1:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• You go moms....all the previous posts make a lot of sense. A fever isn't the worst thing for child (just means they are fighting an infection...could be viral could be bacterial) but I would really look at the childs behavior as the key as to when to go to the ER. If they are having changes in the activity level, serious rashes, or something that tells your gut that this is serious, then take them to the ER. Most ERs will want you to call your pedi first and your MD should have a doctor covering while the office is closed. (answering service, another MD available). What a horrible thing to worry about...medical help should only be a phone call a way (save sthe MD money and the insurance companies too if you do not go to the ER if it isn't needed). Does your insurance company have an advice nurse? Call them. Good luck.
    RN4kids

Answer by RN4kids at 11:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My son's temp was 104.5 last week. They told em if it got to 105 he needed to go to the ER. They told me that the best way to cool a baby down was a cool (NOT cold) cloth to the groin and underarms. Make sure they get fluids. My son was at the doc's all the next day due to dehydration. I was told that even if they don't want to drink, you should offer or try to get them to take a sip every 10 min. I ended up giving my son popsiciles because its all he would take. They also told me to wake up every 2 hours at night and check the temp. Motrin can be given every 6 hours so try to make sure you give them doses every 6 hours on the dot to try to keep the fevers down.
    hazelnutsx5

Answer by hazelnutsx5 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• You don't want it to go any higher but as long as it doesn't, as long as it goes away in 2 to 3 days, as long as they stay hydrated, they're OK.
    Give them the motrin. Give them lukewarm baths (not cold!). Give them pedialyte or if you can find them pedialyte frozen pops.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• If you cant get there temp to go down then you can take them. I took my son to the er when i couldnt get his to go down and they told me that they can stay at that for 3days so i should have just waited and took him to his pedi. but i took my kids cause i worry so i say if you are worried then go for it.

And every doctors office is suppose to have a after hours # for you to call.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried a lukewarm bath? That can help. It's not so bad if the fever goes up, just bad if it doesn't go down at all. Does it go down with the Motrin? Even if it goes back up again when the Motrin wears off, they are still not in need of a trip to the ER. If it is up and stays up, and no bath or cool compress or meds do anything, you should take them in. Does your doctor's office have a message service for an on call doctor to call you back? They might have better advice, too.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2008