What should I tell my mil about my father's dementia and the fact that no one may come for our holiday

celebration?

mamacita69930

Asked by mamacita69930 at 9:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• Give her the facts. I'm sure she will be completely compassionate (unless she's a psycho). She may even have something useful to offer you, as I'm sure she's dealt with illnesses and maybe even death of her own parents. She may embrace you even more because she will know you'll be sad about it. Is he so sick that he can't come? Trust me, most people will understand and embrace him if he comes and he NEEDS to be around family and people who love him.
    I know exactly how you feel, as my family is going through the same thing. It's hard because while it's still my Dad, he's not the same Dad I have known and loved my whole life. And, in a way, you're mourning the loss of someone who is still here. At least, that's how it has been for me. Send me a message if you want to talk.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Tell her the truth.

Answer by older at 9:26 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Be straight forward. The truth is always better than massing up. If you don't tell her why she can't come, she will think you making up a conspiracy against her.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 9:29 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Tell her.

Answer by Bmat at 9:32 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• just tell her the truth......my sister informed me yesterday her MIL is coming to xmas dinner (we are having it at my sisters) and we all know she is a off sometimes and dont take offense ....... just be honest and make plans to see her at a later time....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• The truth... you may get some unexpected support!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would have games and fun activites for everyone to do. Put a christmas movie on, something funny. Make the best out of the time you have with your parents and not any negatives.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 11:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I agree with telling her the truth

Answer by admckenzie at 11:54 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Just tell her the truth? Everybody appreciates the truth. Good luck!
    Platinum_Mommy

Answer by Platinum_Mommy at 12:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2010