How long do you save clothes?

I have a 10 yo and a 4 yo, both boys. I barely save any of my 10 yo's clothes for my 4 yo mainly due to lack of storage space. Plus my 4 yo is on the smaller side, so according to his growth patterns, he might be 11 or 12 before he can fit into my 10 yo's old clothes.

Dh thinks I should save all the good clothing? I want to purge anything he can't wear any longer. Obviously, I'm not saving the 4 yo's because we're done having children. What would you do?

sokkamum

Asked by sokkamum at 9:38 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• With today's economy why wouldn't you save the good clothes for your younger son? I always did with my 4 kids. Jeans & t-shirts, jammies, you name it, if you get rid of it now, you'll pay a bigger price later to buy it all over again. I do believe kids don't have to have hand-me-downs for their entire wardrobe. But, hey, every day wear and play clothing, etc...heck yeah, you'd better believe I'd be saving it!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:49 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Someone will always take the clothes that don't fit your child anymore. If you can find space for the 10 year old's clothes, keep what you have!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:29 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would save the good things--formal attire and play/everyday clothes! Why pay twice?! Get some underbed storage boxes and use that space until those clothes are needed. Also consider getting a large storage trunk that doubles as a bench with a cushion on top to store loads of seasonal or too big clothing! Look for hidden storage space under stairs, in backs of closets. Install closet organizers--even just hanging a second clothing bar from the original one will double storage space! Hang clothes using the free hangers they are on when you buy clothes (you can request them), instead of putting them in drawers--save drawer space for underwear, socks, and accessories.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:15 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I saved everything of DDs in space saver bags, EVERYTHING. I had a DS next, so I donated everything off. I plan no more kids, so as soon as DS outgrows something, I donate it off.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My girls are 6 yrs apart... I saved NOTHING. By the time my younger one can wear it the styles will be totally different.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• We always saved. I have 2 boys and 3 girls and I saved everything from the older 2 girls because I knew eventually the youngest would wear it. Even when we lived in a small apartment with no storage. I packed things tightly in boxes, those space saver bags do wonders, too. As the 4yo outgrows them I donate them. I did end up donating almost all of my older son's clothes after I miscarried in 2009 because we weren't planning on having any more kids after that (weren't planning on having that one either...big surprise). But I ended up pregnant again and we had a 2nd little boy. I now save anything of my older son's that is good but it will be a long time before my younger one wears them (older son is already the size of a 12yo at 9 years old and the baby is only 5 months).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Ask DH to invest in a storage building of some sort. If he is opposed to storage, take them somewhere for donation.
    gatorswife

Answer by gatorswife at 2:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would find a local kids consignment shops where you can take in clothing to sell then as your clothing sells you can get credit to buy clothing there. You can even find online groups where people trade clothing.
    KimPrintable

Answer by KimPrintable at 2:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I saved a couple things from my oldest son is 13 and my youngest 6. Coats,gloves,some jeans..It worked out great..
    foreverof4

Answer by foreverof4 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I save anything sentimental or heirloom quality forever. Also anything portraits were taken in and some name brands.

Everything else goes on ebay and/or the local goodwill
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2010