Is it tacky?

Is it tacky to ask for donations to a honeymoon in leu of gifts at a wedding? Is it tacky to ask people to bring thier own food to a reception like a potluck?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Just for Fun

• No, no, no! Do NOT ask guests to bring food to the wedding. You will be the talk of the town for years to come. Every time someone gets married, someone will bring up the girl who asked guests to bring thir own food! If $$ is an issue, I would ask close family members to make their favorite dishes in lieu of a gift.

As far as the honeymoon, that's different. With so many men and women co-habitating before getting married, most do not have need for another bread machine or bath towel set. It has become acceptable to ask for donations towards a honeymoon, gift cards, or just plain cash.

For more tips, and answers from professionals, go to www.theknot.com

Good luck on your wedding! Congrats! :)
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 8:49 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Now a-days it's socially acceptable to offer the option of donating to the honeymoon. Just let them know where you are registered (if you use AAA or something, they will accept monitary docations towards your travel). As far as the bring your own food - I would say that is probably pushing it. If finances do not allow you to feed your guests, it is probably best to leave it at a cake and punch type wedding. JMO.
    tagonoo

Answer by tagonoo at 2:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I agree with "tagonoo." That it is acceptable to request money rather than gifts. I received an invitation where instead of adding a gift registry, they requested gift cards from stores like "Walmart and even Home Depot or cash." They did receive a few gifts, but mostly cards. As far as pot luck, I think it is tacky. Some people get certain family or friends to be in charge of making and serving the food. If you can't do that, then I would suggest a simple reception with only cake and punch. I hope this helps. Good luck dear, and I wish you all the happiness and blessings!
    Mozie

Answer by Mozie at 2:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My brother and sil had a honeymoon registry online. It went over very well! Their airfare, hotel, and some tourist events were paid for. It works just like a baby shower resgistry.
    If you do not have family and friends to help making food for the reception you might want to invite your guests 'for light refreshments' only.
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 5:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• yes
    Anonymous

• I think the honeymoon registry is alright as long as you don't ask them to donate to it. Rather, wait until someone asks what you want/need and them direct them to your registry. Don't send requests out in the invitation because that is tacky.
    As for the potluck, I would say no on that one. Maybe instead you could get some close family members like your mom and aunts and have them do the dishes? I would definately not ask the guests to bring the food to the wedding.
    mamastefl

Answer by mamastefl at 8:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2008