Postpartum depression?

Have you suffered from postpartum depression? I did and it was nasty. I had a nervous breakdown and I also slept most of the time. I have been feeling a lot better lately, but was wondering about the other moms out there? How did you get rid of it and what were some of the things that you did that were out of your normal behavior?

sexyfancyface

Asked by sexyfancyface at 10:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Health

• not depression but anxiety. it was terrible. there's really nothing like battling your own personal demons and not knowing what to do or who to go for for help! after my first i suffered from it for 8 months in silence until one day i was at a friends' party and couldn't stand being around so many people (all people i've known for years btw) and had to leave. on the drive home i cried my eyes out and went to an urgent care clinic, cried my eyes out to the doctor and she gave me some yasmin. she said take it for 2 months and if it doesnt improve i need to see a therapist. luckily it did improve, turns out my pregnancy hormones never balanced out after the baby and the yasmin helped do just that. but yea.. it was really awful. i had mostly social anxiety, would start having panic attacks even if there were too many people at the playground. lol but im all better now!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I had a small case of PPD and it helped that I went to counseling and had an antidepressant and my parents help with my son. I still have anxiety and panic attacks 14 yrs later, just not very often and I learned how to control them without meds although I do have Xanax for when the painic is really bad. Like another posted said, I took Yaz birth control and it really helps.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• It will get better with time. I had It off and on for about a year, but it was bad for the first two months for me. I am a stay at home mom and for me to get time to think and to have time to myself I have loving family members that would take my son twice a week out to play at the park during the week and overnights on saturdays.
    obenblue

Answer by obenblue at 11:05 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I've never had it, but I'm so glad you were able to seek help and get through it.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 11:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I think I had a mild case. I spoke to my dr and we decided that I didn't need meds, but just talking about it helped alot. I also found that eating right and getting more sleep helped.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 18, 2010