Is my 2 week old sleeping on my chest on her stomach a bad idea?

My daughter will sleep for 3-4 hours if I'm reclined in the chair while I hold her on my chest. If she's in her crib, it really just depends. Anywhere between an hour (before she wants more food AT NIGHT ONLY) and 3ish hours during the day. I've been told to only let her have tummy time while she's awake. But she's comfortable sleeping on my chest while she's on her tummy. Any ideas would help. Thanks!

Lillysmomma1024

Asked by Lillysmomma1024 at 6:48 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I hold my baby on my chest all the time as long as I am awake. Never go to sleep with her on your chest. You can't control what could happen while your asleep..
    Anonymous

• I know you are supposed to put them on their back when they are alone, but it is also supposed to be good for them to be next to you, so I don't know about being on the tummy on your chest. besides sleeping on her tummy you need to be sure you are in a place that if she were to roll off she would be ok.

AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 6:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• my dr. told me as long as I am awake my baby can sleep on her tummy, especially if it's on me. But he said in her bassinet too, i was just too paranoid to do that.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 6:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My daughter used to take naps like that all the time. I would lay on the couch, and she would fall asleep and I would just lay there with her and watch tv or read. It didn't hurt her one bit. Although I have to tell you, after a few times of doing so it gets harder and harder to not fall asleep with her.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I'd say it's fine. She's on your chest, so you can feel her/will know if she has any breathing issues. However, don't fall asleep with her that way. And do NOT let her sleep in her crib that way. I know it'll be difficult if that's what she wants, but if she moves her head at all in the wrong way she could suffocate.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 7:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• http://www.nichd.nih.gov/news/releases/infant_sids_risk.cfm

This is the article for you to read.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• WE co-slept with our youngest two. Docs say that co-sleeping can cause smothering, but according to La Leche League, who have docs that study this, the babies that were smothered had severely obese parents or the parents were on drugs or drunk. We let our babies sleep on us all the time. IMO there's nothing wrong with it.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 7:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Doesn't it feel good when she's asleep on you? Those are some of my favorite baby times. She can her your heartbeat and feel your body warmth. Some mothers will balk at this but..all my babies slept on their stomachs. They just slept better. When they were put on their backs they wouldn't sleep. I'm not much help, I know. But there are other considerations in relation to
    SIDS..the mother smoking, bedding...also babies used to sleeping on there stomachs then made to sleep on their backs had a higher risk of SIDS then those always placed on their backs or on their stomachs and visa versa ... according to Kaiser anyway. Sorry for delete and re add....I added to it
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• i co-bed. my daughter sleeps in her boppy pillow in my arm or on my chest. mothers instinct would surprise you, you wont roll onto your own baby but dont let daddy aunts uncles sibs or g-parents do it. they dont have that same instinctive feeling you so.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Next to you is the greatest place for her to be. That's how my twins and i slept for the first two monthS.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 9:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2008