What would you do?

What would you do if, you had a sil that is not sociable? I have a sil that is fun to be around, but she isn't the sociable type. My mil doesn't understand either. My question is, how do you reach out and get someone out of their shell? I have called her and invited her to do things with me, but she doesn't return calls and she doesn't mention the invites when she is over here for family get together. I have a feeling that it not just me that doesn't get any response.

sexyfancyface

Asked by sexyfancyface at 11:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• If you want to spend time with your SIL, you should probably consider doing it on her terms. Some people just don't like to go out. I don't like to go out. I'm a total homebody. Maybe your SIL just likes to stay home and have company.
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I had a cousin in law (closest family we have so I consider her a sil) who was VERY private and VERY quiet when I first met her.... I just kept inviting her places. I NEVER left her out... she has come around. We have known each other now about 20 yrs and she has totally let her gaurd down and we are best buddies. We have done TONS together. I just love her company.

So keep trying and dont get offended.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 11:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would just keep inviting her, a lot of people don't like to go out with a bunch of people they don't know.
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• You can't force someone to be social. There are a lot of people who are nervous around others, and maybe she just likes to stay at home. All you can do is keep up the invites and let her know you think about her and care. Maybe she will eventually get comfortable around you to accept those invites. BTW- I tell people not to call me. I am horrible about answering my phone and it takes me forever to get back to someone. I just hate talking on the phone. Maybe she is like that.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:34 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• stop trying to make her something shes not. spend one on one time with her and find out what she likes to do. not everyone enjoys a huge crowd/party.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I am a lot like this. I had just rather stay home or go to someone elses home and visit. I don't like public places much, especially if my children are involved. Maybe if you make it a small, quiet dinner at your home or ask if you can go to her home and bring dinner. Could it also be that she may not have the money to go out?
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 20, 2010