My 11 yr. old had a panic attack?

Okay, he's my oldest, 11, and we got him a locking toolbox to keep some stuff away from his little brothers. His little brother, whose three, got his key and got into the box. When he saw the mess, he grabbed the top of his head, said nooooo, fell to his knees and cried. I couldn't believe it. They're just toys and all he had to do was pick it all up. IMO he was way too dramatic.

Just wanted some opinions of anyone else has gone through this and if it's normal.

Maddape48854

Asked by Maddape48854 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Personally, It sounds like how a younger child may react. However, these are his treasures, that is why they're in the lock box, he didn't want anyone messing with them. I'd just sit with him, calm him down, and ask him why he was so upset, because his brother went into the box? because he made a mess with it? Maybe it's the only way he can feel he has some privacy/control over his fav items.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 7:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• What your 11 y.o did was a completely normal reaction. He didnt over react in my opinion. All human being want to have their own things and keep their belongings from being gone through. Your littlest one getting into the 11y.o's stuff made him feel violated. Even if nothing was ruined, it was HIS stuff. His privacy was violated.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/48748

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• oh mom you just don't understand, those are HIS private things. I have panic attacks when ppl touch my things. I hate having ppl in my house to clean carpets bc they have to touch my things. I had a flood and there were emergency workers here to help and I thought I'd have a heart attack. There is something (for those of us who suffer with this) very personal about our things. I'd suggest you teach little brother to respect the fact that they belong to older brother. I'm guessing that was the point of the key for the box. What an invasion of privacy to him. You can't change the oldest one but maybe you can help the younger one understand how important this is to the older brother.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2008