So I just realized my doctor told me something stupid...

I saw the doc on Wednesday for a sinus infection etc. She was telling me dietary ways to help with the symptoms, stuff I already knew - stay away from dairy, drink hot tea, etc.

She then went on to write me a prescription, and told me that 1- it could cause a yeast infection, call her if it happened, and 2- if I didn't take it with meals it could cause diarrhea. Again, things I knew, as I've been on this med before. She then goes on to say, "Eating yogurt would help both of these potential side effects, too".

Um, dude, you just told me to stay away from dairy, now you're pushing it on me? (And yes, I just realized this 4 days later, and had the "dude" moment just now, 4 days later.)

So moms, what would you do? Cuz frankly, I've got enough phlegm going on without taking in the dairy, but I've got the runs (this med does it to me whether I take it with food or not, and I have been taking it with food every time) and I'm feeling the beginnings of a YI...and no access to the doc or YI or diarrhea meds til at least Monday. I have the yogurt, but no plain, but if I eat it I'll be choking on phlegm.

Ugh, anyone else have docs say dumb things like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Health

• actually she was correct. yogurt is loaded with pro-biotics which help fight off yeast infections. furthermore, eating yogurt with antibiotics will help ease your stomach and thicken your stools. i am told everytime by my daughters' pediatricians to give them yogurt when they're taking antibiotics to help with diarrhea. it may not do much for the phlegm, but im assuming the meds you're taking should help take care of that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Yogurt does help with yeast infections. I don't think one thing of yogurt a day will worsen your sinus infection symptoms. Hope you feel better.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:35 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Yogurt is a different type of dairy from straight milk and cheeses. Even people who have a milk allergy can usually tolerate yogurt. Yogurt has a lot of digestive enzymes in it and probiotics that aid the digestive system and regulate some body processes.
    And as someone who has issues with dairy producing phlegm, I, personally have never had yogurt produce excess phlegm.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Take a probiotic pill that you can get in a grocery store or pharmacy. Just ask the pharmacist what kind they have and where they are.

Answer by Bmat at 11:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Yes, but it is true that whenever you are on an antibiotic if you are prone to yeast infections - eating at least one yogurt a day will help keep the YI at bay. I just got over a MO FO of a YI and I tell you what....if I had to stand on my head for a month of sundays I would have to get that thing gone! OMG!! It was THE WORST pain I have EVER felt in my LIFE!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• There is not enough Acidophilus (the culture which eats yeast) in yogurt to do any good. Buy some at a healthfood store and take it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:38 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• yogurt is just different. You can give it to babies before any other straight dairy so it makes sense. It is probably the only dairy with actual benefit.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• kefir is another one. Its like a yogurt type drink but has way more probiotics in it. And its not true that yogurt doesn't have enough to do anything. My son had yeast of the mouth from long term antibiotics for a urinary kidney condition and the yogurt cleared it right up and this was when he was an infant.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Okay, so I went ahead and had some yogurt, and drank some tea shortly after to hopefully combat the excess phlegm...it worked well enough I suppose, I still have more going on than I did before but oh well. Tea & cough drops for me this afternoon.

I don't have access, like I said, to any other stuff - so some of the other stuff mentioned is just out of the question. I do have probiotics in my fridge already but they are so far expired they're useless (tried them already, plus *for me* when I take them at the same time as an antibiotic the antibiotic doesn't do it's job).

Thanks ladies.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Take a daily probiotic & garlic pills
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2010