Fibromyalgia

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about four years ago. I went to see a chiropractor yesterday because my back has really been bugging me and my friends swears by hers.
Anyway, he said that he doesn't think I have fibromyalgia because I'm not miserable enough. Seriously?! You have to been miserable to have fibromyalgia?!
Do you have fibromyalgia and if you do..are you miserable or depressed all the time?

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 11:48 AM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Health

• I'm so sorry you went through that. You know, I'd never wish the monster (that's what I call it) on anyone, but if someone who doesn't believe it's real, or we "suffer enough" with it had it for just one of the really bad days, they'd change their tunes real quick! Most days are a nightmare. Especially in the midst of a really bad flare. I try to not let it show, cause I know my family gets sick of hearing it, but it's not easy. All we can do is support one another, and just let the rest roll off our backs.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• i have had issues with this
    much better now!! stress level is way down, stress was my trigger
    my symptoms would change through years
    some year ago, i had restless leg thing, then it went away, only to have numb hands and feet in am, had to walk around for ten minutes before i could use them

it is a strange condition, and things can with it, it can can better, i am on no meds, but like i said my stress is way lower than before

good health to you
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:54 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I will start by saying I don't trust Chiropracters, ever. Fibromyalgia is a very difficult diagnosis, not one given lightly. Usually, it is the last thing that can't be explained by something else. There is no one test. It is more the ruling out of all the things you can test for. Everyones triggers are a little different. For my Aunt hormones swings seem to cause her worst symptoms. It also waxes and wanes. Sometimes you can't even hug her without hurting her..others she is in very moderate, tolerable discomfort. I would trust my Dr long before I would a quack-a-practer.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Um, I am not miserable at the moment, but I have terrible flares. Anyone who knows anything about Fibromyalgia knows that it can flare up and make life unbearable, but for some people they aren't always miserable all the time. I am not miserable and depressed all the time. I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion and mine is that he may not know what he is talking about.
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 12:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My mom has the same diagnosis and she saw another dr while hers was on maternity leave and he told that she wasn't miserable enough as well. Let me tell that my mom puts on a brave face most days and you have to really know her to know that she is in pain every day.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2010