how to get my 3weeks old fall back asleep when he wakes up at 4am and stays awake

He wakes up every day at 4 am and not going back to sleep until 7 or 8 am in the morning. I fed, changed diaper, walk around holding him ....just nothing works. Any suggestion?

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• each child is different.

my first needed to have me pat her back frimly and rythmically.
    my third needed my cheek on hers until she fell back asleep.
    my second needed to sleep with me.

you just have to find out what works for your child.
    Anonymous

• If you try to put him back in bed, does he cry? If not, I would just try to put him back to bed and see if he'll go back to sleep.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 12:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My first son did something like this. He just woke up to start his day early! He was awake for a couple of hours not 3-4 as you describe. I always kept the room dark. If he was content I let him lay awake in his crib and usually got him back to sleep doing the bed time routine we had established. It wasn't long before he finally started sleeping through and waking up later in the morning.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• this will sound really bad but i would get up with our dd when she did this and put her in her swing or bouncy seat and we would watch the news! talk about boring! and she would fall asleep in like 10 min! its the only think that worked! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• i put music on!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 2:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My DD is 15 months and just started sleeping through the night about a month ago....sort of! She still wakes at 5, but that's way better then her waking every three hours like she was doing. I started to let her CIO, but that's a personal choice. I didn't feel comfortable with doing that to my newborn, which is why I put up with it for 14 months lol! Try a fan or music for noise, I have heard that works. It helped my oldest daughter who didn't sleep through the night until she was a year!!! I tried it with my youngest and it didn't work, but I still liked how it gave the room a calm sound.
    Luvmybooskies

Answer by Luvmybooskies at 2:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• When my daughter would wake up, my husband would take her with him to the recliner and rock her back to sleep. Sometimes it took 10 minutes, sometimes an hour. It just depends.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:46 AM on Dec. 19, 2010