What do you get for teenagers that only ask for cash for Christmas and what is an average amount of cash to give if I do go that route?

I'm not one for giving cash or gift cards - but we haven't gotten a list from my two teenage step children and I'm out of time, patience and energy. One is 19 and one is 17 - both live with their mother and hardly give us the time of day anymore. Anyone have any quick ideas - I'd hate for them to only have one gift under the tree (when they have younger step siblings that will have more because their toys aren't as expensive and are happy with anything)...

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 12:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Holidays

• $50.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 12:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Can you maybe pick them up an outfit at the mall? maybe a new movie. Or you could put together a movie basket with movie ticket, soda,popcorn and candy. Do they have a hobby?
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 12:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Well a dollar amount is hard to say since we have NO idea what your monetary situations is.

If you are going with a gift card then how about doing a visa card... you can wrap it really creatively to make it more fun.  HOw about getting 4-5 boxes that fit inside of each other... in each box put a candy or something silly and little and in the last box put the gift card.  Sometimes just being creative in your wrapping can make all the difference.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• $ 50.00 Some like itune cards if they have ipods. I always ask the Moms with the older kids, I like to have at least 1 gift for them to open.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• i agree with the visa gift card. they can spend it anywhere their little hearts desire. its up to you how much you can and want to spend. i personally would do $25 each.. maybe $50. but im cheap and broke lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• If you give a cash card make 'em work for it. Get one of those puzzle boxes.
    Friends mom used to give money in the form of cards to food places, movie tickets or the cd store. How much are you looking to spend? Do they use iPods or anything that they'd like an iTunes card? Maybe do small things for the tree like socks or a bath care gift box or things they'll need anyways so they have gifts if you do give cash or a visa card.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 12:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• itune card or gift card from their favortie store and if you dont know that i would go with the prepaid visa you can get them at wal mart
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• i want a gift card but send it to mehh
    missybbylove

Answer by missybbylove at 12:49 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would wrap several cheesy gifts, a chocolate orange, a cheap calendar, a pair of socks, a can of pie filling. Then I would put the money in the last present they open with a note... "This is your real present... he he he".

That way they have the joy and anticipation of opening each "gift", but still get the cash/gift card they want.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• visa cards, and i'll wrap a couple of cd's and movies and that's it ask their mom what music and movies their into
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 1:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2010