what do you do to prepare f0r your house guests?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• i make sure the floor is vacuumed and toys are atleast put in the kids' rooms. i hate clutter myself so i would never allow anyone in my home with toys strewn everywhere lol! thats one of my biggest peeves. although it doesnt bother me at other peoples homes.. just mine. sometimes ill light a christmas cookie candle and it makes the whole house smell like i just baked a batch of sugar cookies. depending on why they're coming over or how much notice i had i might make something to snack on like homemade queso dip or something.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I meant people staying with you.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• too be honest i would mainly be cooking a group meal when we have visitors over im not bothered if they see some toys laying around cos come of it i have a little girl who gets things out so it dont bother me cos then the house feels like it is lived in i mean i make sure everything else put away and my floors are vacuumed but toys well everyone knows i have a kid so they would expect the toys to be out
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• i make sure the house is spotless. i also make sure i have snacks that all people would like considering you never know what people will like and i make sure they will have a place to sleep with sheets, covers, and pillows.
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I meant people staying with you.

umm i guess the obvious? make sure they have a place to sleep with clean sheets and blankets and food in the house for them. and again make sure my place is clean. agreed if you have kids they'll expect toys but upon arrival i dont want toys everywhere.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• i agree that toys out kind of feels like you were unexpected. I do prefer for a home I visit to look as if they were expecting company and put forth an effort. If toys end up coming out because the kids are playing... that IS expected.

I guess I'm asking because my friends act as if I'm crazy the way I prepare for guests and I just thought it common place.  I make up a menu and prep as much food as possible.  I have a basket of bath items (like in a hotel) in the guest bath in case anyone for got anything.  I have done all the research on things going on in town for when they are here in case they want to play tourist.  I get up and set the table and start breakfast before they wake, and get my laundry done before they wake.  Things like that.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• It depends on whether they are just visiting for the evening, staying overnight or for a few days. If they are here just for the evening, then of course I'll tidy up & vacuum the downstairs and make sure the bathroom is fresh. Depending on why they're visiting, I may or may not have food & drink prepared too. For those guests who are staying longer, I will have a snack prepared for them for the evening & I will also tidy up the guest room, putting fresh linens on the bed, set out a robe & slippers and have a basket of "necessities" in the guest bath for their use (travel size shampoo, conditioner, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, body lotion, disposable razor, etc.) as well as fresh towels. I'll also make sure the alarm clock & tv remote have fresh batteries, supply a tv guide and have a selection of reading material handy. For guests who are staying several days, I'll also pick up some of their favorite foods & snacks.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• wow, id love to stay with you LOL. i dont think thats crazy at all, a little more than some people would do but it sounds like you go out of your way to make your guests feel at home and comfortable. good job! :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• ah ha... im not the only one. I do have slippers for the guest room but not a robe. I have often thought I should do that.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I sweep and mop the floors, vacumm, I clean the bathrooms and dust the furniture. I make sure they are plenty of supplies on hand like shampoo, extra toothbrushes, toothpaste, hand lotion, some magazines and books to read and extra pillows and blankets, I make sure they know where evrything is to help them selves to like coffee, tea, bottled water, pop that kind of thing
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2010