A terrible toddler!!!!

Okay so he is not terrible, but he is driving me and everyone around him nuts. We recently moved back home and are staying with my husbands family due to financial hardships and we are both going back to school, so we just need the extra help. We have 11 people in this house. my in laws, my brother in law and his girl friend, me and my husband and our 5 kids. The house is large and it works.... however... there is alot of stuff.... just mementos and nick knacks that my in laws have collected over the years. My 6, 5, and 3 are pretty well behaved and while my 3 daughter had a finger nail polish mishap, really they are doing well. Baby is baby and really does fine. my two year old....my adorable, free spirited, loving, active two year old is not. He is having fun, oh is he ever.... he is into everything. This morning I woke up and he had gotten up before anyone eles... and ate the remainder of a chocolate turtle pie... there was about half left..... then painted the kitchen floor with the chocolate that was on his hands. He has painted his toe nails, dumped chocolate powder all over the floor, over fed the trutles, tried to give the cat a bath.... I turn my back and he bolts in effort to cause destruction and mayhem.

We do discipline... messes he makes he cleans up, and disobedience results in appropriate and prompt discipline. The other three are well behaved and are prompt to listen. HIm.... its like he is a whole new breed of child.

What I need is ideas for toys or anything that may entertain him. With the kids I always set them down with a craft project d(ie, coloring, painting, cutting paper, calk boards ect), toys, or a show.... the only things that hold my 2 yr olds attention is anything messy... so finger painting (all over his body usually), or distroying whatever toys the other kids are playing with.

I just don't know what to do to get his attention long enough for me to get anything done. The largest portion of my day is spent disciplining him and redirecting him.

Advice, suggestions, anything..... even if I can find something that will hold his attention long enough for me to run to the restroom, or switch laundry around....

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 1:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• If he likes to make messes pick a room where he can do just that. Get washable finger paint or something like it. Basically just create an area where he can be messy and destructive without driving you and everyone else insane.
    Good Luck with school!
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 1:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Problem is, we don't have a space that he can do that right now. I mean, the living room they can make as much mess with their toys as they want, we can clean that back up, no problem. But we don't have a spare room for him to destroy. That would be awesome if we did though!!! I have tried to get him all bundled up and send him out in the back yard (its very well fenced in, and we have about two feet of snow) and that will entertain him for about 15 min.... but only if it's his idea first. If I say "lets go outside and play!" forget it... he didn't ask first, then he isn't interested.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• First, I would gate him in his bedroom until you get up and can watch him. You could try Baby Einstein DVD's. They are entertaining & the music is soothing & relaxing. As far as toys, since he has so much energy, I would buy him the Fisher Price ride on/push around School bus. He can use up his energy flying around with it. My Son got it at one & it is his favorite toy still today & now he's 4. He pushes that bus around a hundred miles an hour around the house & tires himself out doing it.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• We do have a baby gates ( my inlaws have dogs, and so they have baby gates at every door, and almost every entry way... problem is, he knows how to open them. I'll have to look into the toy you suggested we have two push and ride toys ( a large dump truck one and one of those really basic ones that you get when your baby starts crusing)... he does't touch either one. During the summer though, all he wanted to do was ride his bike, so you would think that would be similar. I wish we had room for him just to ride his bike around the house... but we don't, its a large house, but its three levels, and its older and the hall ways are pretty narrow.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I know someone who put a wooden screen door on their kids bedroom door with a lock. How about matchbox cars?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• you know, we have a tub full of little cars in the storage shed, I will dig them out and see if that works, I think we also have one of those older fisher price car ramp things..... thats a great idea!!! I'll let you know if it works!!
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Have him be your helper, too, no matter what you might be doing. He can help load the clothes dryer, dust with a cloth if you are dusting..........anything that he thinks he is helping you with. And praise him for the help (and anything positive he does).
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2010