my 3 wks old has some tiny blood in his stool

i spoke to my ped and she told me maybe because he's straining and some blood came out and told me if you see a lot of blood just go to ER. Anyone's baby experience this? he also has little blood in his nose and ped told me to use saline

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Blood in the stool can be a sigh of cow's milk protein intolerance. If you are breastfeeding, you might need to eliminate dairy from your diet. If baby is getting formula, you might need to switch to a non-dairy one. *** Babies that can't tolerate dairy often can't tolerate soy either. ***
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Does he seem constipated? If the stool is hard then he could have tiny tears that will bleed. My daughter had that problem when she was a baby and it was scary to see the first time it happened but we both pulled through. As for the bloody nose it could be his sinus's are dry.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• my twins were allergic to milk and tolerated soy perfectly fine, took care of all their digestion problems and gas
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 2:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• i dont know what could be wrong but i sure hope he gets better :)
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Sounds like he's constipated to me. As far as his nose, sounds like it might just be dry inside, my kids and I get that too.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Yes!!! When my three year old was a baby she had blood a few times from straining when pooping. Luckily some apple prune juice helped with that and that was the end of it. With my youngest it happened when she was still a new born. They thought she may be allergic to milk and had me stop drinking it for a week. It went away and they had me bring it back into my diet, it still didn't happen again so thank god it wan't an allergy. The Dr said that sometimes they can have an irritated nose and swallow small amounts of mucus that has blood in it. If your DS is having blood in his nose, it sounds like that may be the issue. I love saline! It works wonders for my little one!
    Luvmybooskies

Answer by Luvmybooskies at 2:50 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• sounds like constipation-switching to soy milk usually helps--good luck
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 8:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• is the poop hard or is it runny my son had runny poop and blood coming out he was alergic to the formula he would also spit up alot we had to put him on elecare and all of it went away good luck
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 11:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Your pediatrician knows best! They specialize in the field of children. I would just follow what she told you.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:44 AM on Dec. 19, 2010