What age can I start.....

Giving my son water, rice cereal and stage one foods? Gerber says supported sitter and leans towards the spoon. He is a supported sitter at 3 months. Today I was eating Cheese Balls while he was sitting on my lap and every time the ball passed his mouth, he tried to eat it. What age did you gals start giving these things to you little ones?

mandapanda942

Asked by mandapanda942 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would wait til at least 4-6 months.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My son didn't get water until about 11-12 months when he figured out the sippy cup. He never got rice cereal. He started solid foods very slowly at 6 1/2 months after he lost the tongue thrust reflex. A baby should be able to sit up UNSUPPORTED and be able to pick things up with the pincer grasp before starting solids.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I think for my son the baby food started at 6 months. But I started earlier with the cereal in his bottle probably at like 3 months.
    rebock

Answer by rebock at 1:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I was reffering to baby food, not the cheese balls. The description on the Gerber stage 1 says SUPPORTED sitter, stage 2 is unsupported. I had just always heard 4 months on introducing food, but had noticed my son was doing the things stage 1 suggested.
    mandapanda942

Comment by mandapanda942 (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• i started my kids with the rice in the bottle because they had reflux issues! And other things at 6 months!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 2:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My kids started cereal when they were around 3 to 4 months old, baby foods at around 5 or 6 month and cheerios at about 8 months. I gave them pedialyte and water around 10 months. My twins were completely off the bottle at 10 months, because they kept biting the nipples completely off every bottle but got formula in sippy cups.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 2:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• We never did cereal or the "staged" baby foods... but my boys both started solids around 7-8 months. They were offered water at the same time, but didn't get the hang of sippy cups until 9 or 10 months.

I agree with PP that they should be sitting UNsupported and be able to pick things up between their fingers. Remember that gerber is trying to get you to buy their product, so taking advice from them on when to start is foolhardy. The sooner you start, the more you buy! Research independently and watch your child. It's normal for them to stare you down and mimic you, it doesn't indicate they're ready for anything... if he stared you down and tried to grab a pair of scissors out of your hand would that mean he was ready for those?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Another good indication is when they stop drooling so much. It means they've learned to swallow.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• when they about one year old and have a few teeth if u start a child out on table food to soon they can develop allergies to that food
    WVgrandma

Answer by WVgrandma at 2:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I wait until at least 6 mos. Anytime after that, I introduce solids, and offer water in a sippy at solid meals.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2010