does your teen have it more or less 'together' than you did as a teen

my daughter has me floored how 'together' she has it... I was not as responsible, savvy, or driven at her age.  but then again my parents were divorced and my life was a chaos of back and forth with two homes, two sets of rules, extra parents, etc.  We have given my daughter such a stable home life it is no wonder she can focus on HER life and where it is going and not have to worry about home stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I won't have a teen for another couple years, but I sure hope he has it more together than I did!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• No we are about even when I was his age I had a job and had the same plans for the marines went in to get my physical found out I was pregnant. I guess thats the only thing he has over me no kids yet.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• my daughter- more for the most part
    my son- less
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Actually less. I was driven and passionate when I was a teen. I was raised by a poor widow. Anything I wanted I had to get for myself. My kids have been raised like your duaghter and don't have jobs, don't have particularly good grades and even though they have a car have made no effort to learn to drive.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My 4 sons as teens were far more responsible than I was as a teen. My dad didn't believe that girls needed to work or drive as a teen & he didn't believe that girls were meant to go to college so he geared me to bbe focused on secretarial school. My husband was raised much different and we raised our sons more like their dad had been raised....they started working as high school Juniors, paid 1/2 for their 1st cars, have been paying their own bills/wants (car payment to us until 1/2 their car was paid off, car insurance, cell phone, gas for their cars & buying anything extra above the basic of standard clothes/hygiene products/needs...name brands were their cost not ours) & started saving for college as well. They are now 19, 20, 23 and 24 and are very focused on what they want in their lives.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is so together. She knows that she wants to graduate a semester early, take some gen. courses at the local community college and work before going off to the one in-state school that has the undergrad degree she wants to pursue.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Be proud..... My child does better at her school work than I did..
    earlyissues

Answer by earlyissues at 5:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I don't have any teens, sorry.
    Hondachick44007

Answer by Hondachick44007 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I think sometimes parents think they were worse than their own kids when they really werent. I mean we were all teens/kids once and if you made it out of those circumstances and you still have managed to get on with your life...and provide a great home for your own kids WITH OUT any example from your parents -- girl I would say that you had it together!!! :)
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 1:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My teen boys seem to have it together, but my oldest doesn't want to go to college and I worry about his future.
    chickychatter

Answer by chickychatter at 8:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2010