just read the question about having son carry his own diapers, i read it wrong but got me thinking of another question:

is it wrong to allow your child to take their own dirty diaper to the trash can? im talking wet diapers. maybe even dirty ones that are wrapped up tight enough where all the poop is contained inside. i ask because sometimes i ask my 2 year old to throw her diapers away, and sometimes ill ask my 4 year old to throw her 2 year old and 11 month old sister's diapers away. not all the time, its not like i make her my slave or anything. but usually i have to change the younger ones together and get them dressed again so if she's not doing anything ill ask her and she doesn't mind. i think she enjoys helping mommy out. so do you do this? or do you think the parent should throw the diaper away? and yes i will have them wash their hands after they touch it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't see a problem with it, hidden trashcan or not.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I think its fine. My twins used to argue over who "got" to throw away brothers diapers and who "got" to get him the wipes and a clean diaper.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 2:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I don't see any problem with this at all. My son throws his diapers away all the time. I don't even ask him to do it, he just likes helping.
    toykeymama

Answer by toykeymama at 2:09 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My 1 YEAR old takes her diaper off and throws it away when its shower time she even takes her clothes off and puts it in the dirty clothes :) i think its cute and shows she knows certain things and its ok for kids to do things on there own
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with kids throwing diapers away at all. My Son did! But, I don't throw poopy diapers in the regular trash because of the stink. I put the poopy diapers in a plastic grocery bag, knot it and throw it directly into the garbage can in the garage. Peepee diapers go in the regular garbage in the kitchen.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I don't see a problem either. My son used to want to throw his away.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Why would it be wrong? My kids did that as soon as they could walk for every diaper. They messed them, they can throw them away. plus they liked helping. We had 3 kids under 3 at once and I would change them one after the other and the older two (2 and 1) would toss their own diapers and come back for the babies (and fight over who got to throw it away). They were also cleaning up their own toys at that age (with help until they were 3 and then they were expected to do it themselves). I'm not their slave or their maid and my kids clean up after themselves (or they are supposed to).
    We have 5 kids and the older 4 (10, 9, 8 and 4) are expected to help with the baby (5 months). They change diapers, give him bottles, "babysit" him while I do other things (like cook dinner or take a shower), play with him, etc. And my 4yo throws diapers away...all of them. It's her "job" she says. She enjoys helping with her baby brother.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Why not have children help out? My mom used to affectionatly tell me "before I had you, I had to get my own purse!"
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with that and even consider putting the diaper trash next to the bathroom sink so they can learn about washing their hands. Honestly, when I was a pre-school teacher there where some kids who simply did not want to be potty trains so I use to make them wipe themselves, put their diaper in the trash as well as put up their dirty clothing and get dress, of course I was watching closely and helping guide them but once they had to deal with the mess themselves they would be potty trained in a week. Amazing how when we stop doing everything for our kids and they have to take some responsibility for themselves that they will do stuff on their own.
    KimPrintable

Answer by KimPrintable at 2:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I let my all my kids (when they were in diapers) throw their own away... or throw a younger siblings away. What is wrong with that? Sometimes they get me my coat and shoes when we are going out.
    Kerfuffle

Answer by Kerfuffle at 2:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2010