My 14 month old recently stopped sleepin through the night what can i do!

He sleeps at 9 or 10 and lately around 3 or 5 every night for the last month he's up if i go grab him and lay him on my chest he will fall back to sleep but i dont want him getting used to that i want him to adjust to all night in his crib or is that the wrong thing to do?

PierceTori

Asked by PierceTori at 7:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• don't put him on your chest. Just rub his back and comfort him, let him know that you are there. That's if you don't want him getting used to falling asleep with you. Maybe try putting him to bed an hour later, and see if he sleeps longer?
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 7:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• You can try cutting down on the afternoon nap, but unless he is waking up crying DONT pick him up in the middle of the night. Kids get used to that really quickly and before you know it you'll have a child who is up at all hours and refuses to sleep without being held or in your bed. You can also try feeding him more solid food, closer to his bed time so he stays fuller longer. He may be going through a growth spurt and is waking up due to hunger. Good luck.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/48748

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I would suggest checking to see if he's cutting teeth. He may very well be. At that age, my kids were cutting their molars. It maybe that they are experiencing pain from that. I personally wouldn't get in a habit of getting up and putting them with you. Maybe you could try keeping a small radio, cd player, or sound machine in his room, and when he wakes up turn it on real soft. I know when I got up with my kids, it was ok for them to wake up and that started a horrible routine. If you can stand it, just go in pop in a paci if they take a paci and turn on some soft noise, and hopefully he'll go back to sleep. I think this is fairly normal at that age.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 9:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• DD went through that & still is at times. (She's trying to get her k9s.) When she gets up we usually lay down & watch a short (30 min) movie then go back to bed going through the whole bedtime routine again. I usually don't hear from her again till about 830.
    asowbugangel

Answer by asowbugangel at 11:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2008