Has anyone here ever made chocolate covered pretzels?

If so, did you use baking chocolate? Or are chocolate/white chocolate chips okay to melt and use?

Also, how long do they usually take to cool all the way?

I have these little dishes that I want fill with something for a get-together I'm going to tomorrow, and I thought this might be an easy idea. :)

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 3:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have not but if I decided to I'd use chocolate chips in a double boiler, dip them in and set them on parchment paper. It doesn't take but a few minutes for them to cool

Answer by admckenzie at 3:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I make almond bark which is the easiest thing in the world and I'm not a great cook. Same concept, melt the choc chips then add the almonds and quickly pour it on parchment paper. Then when cooled just break it in pieces. You can roast the almonds if you want but I don't and omg, it's sooooooooooooo good!

Answer by admckenzie at 3:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I've never made them but sounds easy enough!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Chocolate Covered Pretzels
    1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
    2 tsp shortening
    24 – 28 pretzels (about 3″ in size)
    Sprinkles (Optional – See Tips section below for ideas)
    Prepare a large baking sheet by covering it with wax paper (or parchment paper) Melt chocolate and shortening together by using a double boiler with the water at a gentle simmer. Stir chocolate while it’s melting and remove from heat once all the chocolate is melted (you can use a microwave to melt the chocolate. Using a fork, dip each pretzel one at a time into the melted chocolate. You can completely cover the pretzel or just dip 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up, leaving some of the pretzel exposed.Once the pretzel has been dipped in chocolate, lay it on a cookie sheet to set. If you wish to add sprinkles for garnish, now’s the time to do it while the chocolate is still wet (you can dip around 6 at a time before sprinkling in batches).
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:13 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• continued:
    Allow to set for about one hour before packing away for storage. Keep in an airtight container with a piece of wax paper between layers of dipped pretzels. Will keep for about two weeks in a cool, dark place (they do not need to be refrigerated).
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I do it every year. Almond bark or candy melts are the best thing to use, and they dry fairly quickly - faster yet if you stick them in the fridge or out the back door for a few minutes.
    Anonymous

• I used chocolate bark or chocolate chips and a little crisco.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Chocolate chips are easy to use & melt.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:50 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I just use the bakers chocolate, it's cheap, you just MICROWAVE it and dip whatever into it and it hardens quickly on some wax paper. I'm a Mom so I'm all about using easy, quick shortcuts to achieve the same result! :)
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 2:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I used chocolate chips and by the time I was done with the last pretzels the 1st ones were completely dry
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 10:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2010