what's the best disciplinary act to correct a toddler from throwing "anything"?

missmarylou

Asked by missmarylou at 3:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Whatever he tries to throw gets taken away for the day

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Depends on the child, what and why they're throwing something.

If she's throwing a toy, then toys go into the time out box... and she can't play with them until tomorrow to see if she can play nicely.
    If she's throwing out of anger and frustration, a temper, then no punishment, as i don't think it's right to punish for emotions, and tantrums are something we help her deal with, not something we punish her for.
    Throwing something because she's in a bad mood and just is... then time out. If she cannot behave nicely, then we remove her from the situation until she can.

More info really... depends on many many things.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Temper tantrums should be talked about first and foremost, with your spouse or significant other, if you have one that is, since this will take both of you being on the same page to order to nip it quickly.
    If it's about anger, and she's just angry, then yes, talk to her about her emotions and help her learn how to properly express them, but if it's about not getting her way, which I'm assuming it more than likely is, then punish her for the wrong behavior however you see fit.
    Everyone preaches about the 'time out method' and the 'talk it through method' or the 'spanking the bottom method' without really seeing if the parent they are talking to has a specific type of punishment already set. Me? I spank and do time-out, and with me, throwing things and having a temper tantrum results in a spanking unless I can see that those behaviors are results of anger. Then my child and I talk about it and see if there is a better way.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 8:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I'm sorry, I disagree with the previous answers. If my son throws something out of anger then he gets punished. I also spank for tantrums/throwing things. If that doesn't get through then I do take away the toy and send him to time out.

We used to have quite a problem with throwing but after a few swats, and a few time outs he really has gotten over this behavior for the most part. I don't disagree with talking about emotions but I think it's important to immediately and swiftly show that throwing when angry won't be tolerated.
    toykeymama

Answer by toykeymama at 11:52 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Everyone is going to have different parenting and discipline styles. I don't believe one style works for EVERY child. Growing up as a child I remember having priviliges taken away as being more upsetting than a spanking and friends saying spankings were worse. So, here again it just depends on the child. In our case, we try to handle any tantrum or foul behavior the same way...consistency is key...try to stay calm and figure out what's wrong, explain why we do or don't do certain things, and then redirect. If that does not work then try time out or a spanking. I find, with our son, 90% of the time he's upset he can't do something by himself. So a few minutes to explain or show him how to do something usually suffices. I also try to do warnings in stages...1st explain why or why not, 2nd redirect, 3rd timeout, then 4th spanking. Good luck and hope you find what works best for you and your child.
    shirley7409

Answer by shirley7409 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2010