If a cat has dirty ears does that mean they have mites?

How do you know if its mites? How do you clean their ears?

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 3:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Pets

• It can, but some cats just don't clean their ears well. You can buy mite drops, or you can mix up equal parts oil (olive is best) and water, and add two or three drops of dishwashing liquid (Dawn) or baby wash. I keep a bottle of this around all the time (eight cats and four dogs lol). I also add a few drops of glycerin (from any drugstore) because it makes it a little less runny. Just wipe out your cat's ears with a warm wet washcloth (a rough one is better than a soft one) to get the worst of the gunk and loosen it a bit, than use a cotton ball or makeup pad to completely swab the ear with the oil mixture. If you notice blood, THAN you know it is probably mites and can add some of the mite meds. But, always clean the ears before applying meds.

I've just made it a point to regularly (every two weeks or so) clean all of the fuzzy ears around here and haven't had mites in more than 8 years.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• it usually means they have mites, yes. I use a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol to clean them then use ear mite drops to kill the mites.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 3:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• not necessarily it could just be an overproduction of wax but it also be an ear infection. The only way to know for sure is to take your cat to the vet and let them take a sample from the ear and look under a microscope
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• sometimes they just dont do a good enough job cleaning them, like little kids. i clean mine's with a cotton ball and a bit of alchohol when hes in a passive mood. probably going to vet first is a good idea though just to rule any problems out
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• it can be if the debris looks like wet coffee grounds and kitty scratches at thier ears alot. if not it could be that they are just dirty. you can use a cotton ball that is damp with rubbing alcohol. or you can get an ear cleaning soution from any store that sells pet products or your vets office. but the only way to tell if they are mites is to take them to a vet
    raylc

Answer by raylc at 9:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• look in ears if its brown dusty stuff.. its mites if so.. a home remedy is fresh olive oil on cotton swab on inside {no in ear canal} of ear
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 2:09 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• usually so
    onaugh

Answer by onaugh at 11:24 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• It can be but not always... if it was my cats I'd just take them to the vets. My critters don't really have a chance to get dirty ears though LOL, I'm kind of anal about that- they all get cleaned as part of their regular at-home grooming.
    -LucyInTheSky-

Answer by -LucyInTheSky- at 2:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2010