How can I get him to take the medicine?

My 2 1/2 year has always taken medicine just fine so this one must taste awful. My mom told me to put in really far back next to his cheek but he still spits it out. I tried bribery, that doesn't work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm using the dropper.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Put it in and hold his nose. He has to swallow and open his mouth to breathe

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• What kind of medicine is it? Could you possibly get in the form of a popsicle, lolipop or gummies.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 3:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Gah.... holding their nose just makes it soooo much harder the next time he has to have any medicine......

Can you get your hands on a syringe? Obviously not one of the ones with needles, just the very large ones. Squirt it straight into the mouth, it's funny with water, and goes straight down, they can't help but swallow.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• It's a prescription cough medicine so I doubt it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• If it's a prescription talk to your pharmacist they probably can or they can probably change the flavor.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 3:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• You can get a syringe dropper real cheap at the pharmacy. Ask the pharmacist or dr if it can be mixed with juice or something else.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 3:51 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• my 4 year old makes himself gag when he takes meds i have a ringpop ready for med time and after giving a lil he gets a lick and so on it took a few tries but know he knows he gets a treat when he takes it
    momofalltrades

Answer by momofalltrades at 7:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• can you mix into his food or milk? That's what I do whenever my kids have to take meds that taste bad.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 8:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• it's just a cough medicine? I wouldn't give it if he doesn't want it... it doesn't cure anything... it's for comfort, so just don't give it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2010