HOW DO U DISCIPLINE AN UNRULY 5 YR. OLD?

ANYTHING YOU TELL HIM, HE ACTS LIKE HE DOESN'T LISTEN. LIKE I HEAR U BUT I'M NOT LISTENING.

frogger41

Asked by frogger41 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe he's not liking what you are saying. Don't tell him things, show him. Kids act out a lot in hopes of getting attention. If that's the case, then give it to him. Sit down with him and give him undivided attention and just ask him What's up? I learned that if you give a little one that age five minutes of your time then they get tired of you and go play. Just watch over him and make sure he's doing what he needs to be doing and if not, get him back on track. Don't just shout orders at him. Show him what you want him to be doing.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Well when I was raising my girls(they are grown now). if they did not listen. They would after I spanked their but. If you do not do that. Take their favorite toy away.

Answer by louise2 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Praise the good. If you always moan at him for everything then he will tune out and stop listening. Reward the positive behaviours that you want to encourage. Give him a reward chart or something...time out or remove privellages for bad behaviour and explain why you don't like what he did.

It could also be attention seeking...i Have 5 year old twins and its difficult to divide my time between all of my kids equally so i find they tend to act out a bit if they want me! lol Spend some time with him doing POSITIVE things, play games, kick a ball around the park...it'll make him respect you and enjoy you and then he's more likely to follow your rules and listen.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 4:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• First off he is still a little boy. It's just a matter of reprogramming his way of thinking. First you need to grab his attention which there are plenty of ways to do so he will listen to you and you can then get him to communicat with you the way he should. From what I've learned the tone of voice also plays a part in how children react to what you may have to say to them that could really be important. You need to give him the impression that if he doesn't listen to you he may miss out on something. And when you do start to get him to cooperate, he should be rewarded with something small.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I made my son do exercises when he was that age. Jumping jacks, push ups, arm circles ect.. Its not child abuse like beating your kid and its healthy for them. After about a week of that, he started listening. He's 10yrs old now and all I have to do is simply ask him if he wants to do them and he straightens up!

AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 4:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• we have "lock down" which is an extended time out for as long as it takes sitting in bed w/ hands on lap. Make a list of house rules (manageable since likely your kiddo cannot read, 3-5 are good) w/ rules like "pay attention" and "do as you're told". strip any/all privileges away. do whatever it takes to get control back!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My daugther used to be like that but I got into a program from 1st 5 and they have been coaching me about praising her instead of nagging her witch is really difficult the first times you try because you have cach them doing something good like asking for a cookie instead of taking it or puting a toy away, also I have been told about active ignoring what it means is when she was trying to break any of my rules I'll turn my back and do not make any eye contact and most of all I wont get angry but tell her and act the consecuences of braking the rules like no more tv no more anything she wants until she calms down, so far that has been a great help for me because now, she comes to me and says Im sorry Mommy I'm going to be good now and then I look at her and accept her apology and she will do as I ask and I'll give her a big hug and say you are such good girl! I feel that I have a better relationship with her now
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 12:57 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• most important... be consistent, always. The rules are the rules. You cannot let a child get away with something one day and expect them to listen to you the next.
    a_brown23

Answer by a_brown23 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Consistency and positive reinforcement.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• A sore butt would fix this I think. But if they don't do that then apply your method of discipline and change things up till you find something that works.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2010