Is it normal for formula to come out through the nose?

Ok so the other day my baby started to spit up and choked on it and it came out of her nose. Is this something I should be really concerned about? By that I mean is that normal?

Lizzie32390

Asked by Lizzie32390 at 7:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could be acid reflux if she keeps doing it. If it happens every once in a while then yes it's normal.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 7:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• until they learn to control it, yep it's normal :) as they get better muscle control it won't come out the nose :)

kind of like if you laugh or cough while swallowing, it can come out your nose, same with babies. Normal
    Anonymous

• sounds like reflux to me. especially if it made its way all the way up to her nose.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 7:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• BTW did it scare the crap out of you? It scared the crap out of me the first time my son did that!
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 7:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Have you ever laughed so hard your drink came out of your nose? Your eyes, nose and mouth are all connected in your skull, and it's completely natural. Have you ever puked so much that it came out your nose? same thing. GL
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• my daughter has only done it a couple of times, if it happens when they choke every now and then i'd def. say it's completely normal...now if it's happening with every feeding i'd get it checked out but you shouldn't worry about it =]
    anabelsmommy08

Answer by anabelsmommy08 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Yes, that happened to my first dd when she was about 1 mo. old. It scared me to death! She was bf, but if they swallow wrong it can happen. Just try to slow the baby down during the feeding, & if it happen again turn her over and pat her back. Then just use the aspirator to clear her nose!
    akme10607

Answer by akme10607 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My twins had reflux and that would happen. They can aseprate on the milk so be careful and keep a good eye and ear on her.I would have a stroke every time it happened to my girls because they would stop breathing and turn red..
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 9:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Ugh thats so freaky isnt it! But yeah its normal. It ALWASY comes out my babys nose EVERYTIME he spits up. Weirds me out
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• my baby girl used to do the same thing and her pediatrician told me of course that it was acid reflux and because her little stomach was more than full she was spitting out through the nose.
    Lili1122

Answer by Lili1122 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2008