If you don't celebrate Christmas in a religious way, how do you help your children understand why their friends are going to church and they aren't?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 4:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We talked to the kids about the nativity story, and that some people worship Jesus as the literal son of God and Christmas is the day when many celebrate his birth. That made sense to them. We're not trying to raise them with any specific dogma. They've never asked about church in regards to Christmas, but when they asked about church in the past we've said it's a place where some people go to worship God... some people who believe in God like to worship this way, others like to worship in other ways, and some believe in other gods or goddesses and worship in their own way. We're a very multifaith family (I practice Buddhism but am from a nominally Christian family, my dh is an atheist but from a Hindu family) so the idea that different people have different beliefs and celebrate different holidays is nothing new to them.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:00 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• The same way we explain why his JW and Menonite friends don't have Christmas.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• His friends don't talk about whether they go to church or not.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• It never even comes up.
    Kissybratzmom

Answer by Kissybratzmom at 4:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• It's never come up. If it did, we would probably have the same talk we had about Santa. That some people believe in different things that are just fun stories.

Oh-what a shame. I think we should all raise our kids to be open minded and follow their own path. I would not label someone else's beliefs as just fun stories and put them on the same level as Santa. I would never tell my kids that Pagans are witches, I would not tell my kids that Muslims are terrorists, I would not tell my kids that Atheists are Godless devils. I try to present other beliefs with respect and dignity so they can follow their own path as adults.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My 5y/o asked what is church. The first thing I told him was that the church is a place where ppl go to learn about God. He asked, "And the Goddess?" I then had to break it to him that some ppl in the world don't remember how important she is, and they never talk about her. Then he asked me, "well why do ppl have to go to church, why cant they just learn from home?" I think that's still a great question!

nerdy

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I just tell her that it is something that some people do and we don't
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• No one close to us is going to church but, if he asked me I'd tell him the truth "for some people Christmas is about more than Santa" & I'd answer any following questions accordingly.

It's no different then me telling him not everyone celebrates Christmas, some celebrate different holidays, some don't cewlebrate any.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 4:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Not something that comes up(my kids are still quite young tho).

We plan on explaining the variety of beliefs out there anyway as those things come up so they'll know some celebrate Christs birth on that day and others dont,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• What are you talking about? Being less than tolerant would be telling them the colder facts: that some people are so desperate for something more than reality or so motivated by greed or fear that they cling to these ridiculous stories as fact, devoting their lives to things that are completely insane. Telling them that people believe in these stories *without the extra details* is a much kinder way of telling them what Christianity is.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2010