About eating a placenta

There was a post on here earlier today about a Mom who was planning on eating hers to prevent PPD. I'm not doing this, I'd get sick but I do have questions about it. Has anyone actually done this?!?!

I just read on this site that people make placenta stir-fry, placenta lasanga, they make pills out of it and take them daily and some eat it raw!!! Is this all seriously just to prevent PPD? Is Post partum dep, that bad?

I don't know... I never heard of this, so it was interesting to read about it

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• my SIL is a labor and delivery nurse... she's had couples bring in a crock pot! seriously! diced onions and peppers too.

I think it's gross but to each their own right :)

too close to cannibalism for my tastes.
    Anonymous

• A crock pot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EWW. What does it taste like? GROSS
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• ugh eww. I guess I'm not that animalistic, to each their own.
    But I have heard that you can get them crushed into powder and put into capsules, and take them in pill form, which might make it easier to swallow.
    Not everyone gets PPD. For some, yes, it can be bad. But take that in stride.
    There are other things you can take to help with that, if necessary. I'm not saying that to discourage you, if that's something you're considering, but there are other natural options to fight depression, like St. John's Wort. Of course you should consult ur dr before taking any suppliments, especially if you're on medication of breast feeding.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 7:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    Anonymous

• mrseum- I'm NOT considering it but I do find it interesting.... I would rather take meds if I get PPD, I think it would make me sick.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• oh and my SIL also told me about people that don't cut the cord and carry the placenta around in a bag until it naturally falls off the baby! they have to pack it in herbs because it starts to rot and stink!

some plant it under a fruit tree and on baby's first birthday the baby eats the fruit that's been nourished by the placenta.

Anonymous

• apparently it tastes like liver according to the people that did it.
    Anonymous

• I've suffered from PPD after both pregnancies and it was BAD. But I took Zoloft and was fine.

I'd never eat my own freaking placenta! I'll stick to the pharmaceuticals thank you!
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 7:35 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Eww! Anon- carrying it around in a bag, like with the baby!?! lol!!! Why are people so attached to the placenta?
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• yep... like an over the shoulder bag holds the placenta and mom holds the baby who's still attached. I was totally grossed out by that one.

It has to do with older religions and not wasting, and healing properties. Kind of similar but not exactly like the hunters who eat the raw heart of their kills.
    Anonymous